1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

six speed tranny???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ronnunan, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ronnunan

ronnunan Junior Member

I have a 79 K10 with a 350 tranny....I need an overdrive and have been researching my options. I can go with the 700r4 built for 350 hp or the "gear vendors" overdrive unit that gives you a bolt on unit that has an overdrive on 1st/1st over, 2nd/2nd over etc...the gear ratio comparison in 3rd over is .78 where a 700r4 in 4th gear is .70
    Anyone have this type of unit or know anything about it???Reading the internet articles it seems to be preferred over the 700r4. Their website is gearvendors.com
    By the way....cost is 2,900 and it bolts right up to the np203 with the part time kit on it.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you can afford it, go with the Gear vendor, you wont be sorry.Their easy to install and their WAY stronger than running a 700 (rated for over a 1000hp). To run the 700 you'd need to modify both drive shaft's and relocate your cross member. After you bought a 700,had it rebuilt,bought a torque converter and bought the correct output shaft you could spend a sizable amount of money that you could of put toward's the gear vendor unit,so the prices aren't that far apart and when it was done you'd have a much stronger set up. To run the gear vendor you'll only have to shorten the rear drive shaft and install the unit on the rear of the transfer case (plus a little wiring) so the install would be much easier too.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

700r suck . only good thing thay have is low first gear. if you got the cash and it was me. gv unit. and the resale value is up there on them also on ebay. so if you ever decided to sell it it will bring you more than a used 700.

4. ronnunan

ronnunan Junior Member

thanks for the input....going to think it over for a week or two and will post later to keep you updated on the gv unit.