1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sitting with my thumb in my @$$

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 345HEMI, Dec 27, 2005.

1. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

left the house an hour ago, did 2 driveways and 2 walks, plow started to get real slow and the pump was making a funny noise, get out of the truck, and fluid all over the place. broken line... and about a 1" split in it. this plow is one month old!!! dealer doesn't open till 8AM! not a good way to start the day!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Duct tape - cure for anything. Pull the line closed as much as possible and tape it.
  3. Swinn

Swinn Member

I dont' have that much plow experience but I have some hydraulic experience. You might be able to pick up or make some time of splice to make a more secure fix. Maybe a short nipple about the same size OD as the ID of the hydraulic line with some clamps. I believe they might sell hydraulic splices.
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the break. Hydraulic hoses can fail at any time, and failures will be found on all types and makes of equipment. Carry a spare, but if it happens again, check the relief valve settings, because you have more of a rupture from excessive pressure I think, than a hose that developed or was made with a weak spot.
  5. NEAL

NEAL Member

Things like that are the worst especially on a new plow! Good lesson though as to why we should carry spare parts with us. A couple of years ago as preventative maintenence I put new hoses on my western plow to avoid a blown hose at a bad time. Turns out the new hoses were longer than the originals and I broke the fittings off the pump twice before realizing the hose was getting hung up on the end of the trip spring! One was close to home but the other was 20 minutes away. Very nice to have spares on the truck and minimize down time.
  6. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

thanks for all the replies guys. well the dealer did fix it for free, and said they have had a few of the angle hoses blow already this year. (sounds kinda strange) but they were great about it and promply changed it out. so now it looks like i am gonna carry a spare hose and fluid with me. thank god it happened on a morning that i could get parts! back in buisness now, and it's supposed to rain for 3 days now!!!!!!
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cheek the new hose at the fittings. I got a couple of hoses from boss and the ends were not crimped down. fyi:waving: