1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sitting low in front 2004 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CJPlow, Oct 27, 2007.

1. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

Last year we put on a western ultra mount plow with the poly blade. When plowing i noticed the front bracket is very close to the ground and bottomed out a few times. What have you guys done to help adjust for this cause it is hard with some of the drives we have to do. I have already turned up the torsion bars on it to gain another inch but i know that is all i can do before really putting the strain on them. A set of air shocks would be awesome for this but i cant seem to find then anywhere. I did notice firestone came out with a set but its for the chevy trucks only.
    Any info would be great on this! I really dont want to go another season like this and risk screwing up the plow mount.

2. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

did you put any weight in the back, I put around 400# in the back of my 1500 and it balances out pretty good

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Throw some weight in the back, and add a set of timbrens.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: .I agree................
    or sell it and get one with coil springs that can be easily up graded.

5. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

we had almost 500 lbs in the back, it helped a little but not what we were expecting.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you have it behind the rear axle? The ballast must be at the rearmost point in the bed up front by the bulkhead isn't effective.

That truck has a soft front end. it wasn't designed to be a work truck so the suspension's tuned a little different then a work truck. lots of travel in the early stages, for a smoother ride, even the current 2500 trucks are riding softer.

7. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I have a Boss 7-6 standard duty on my 2004 Ram QC 4x4 and have not experieced the bottoming out.

I have the 20" wheels with BFG 285/65/20's on them and that makes the truck set about
    2" higher as well as installing the Timbrens. They are a MUST, especially on the 1500's.

Cranked the torsion bars so there is about 1" clearance between the Timbren and the lower A arm. It plows like a beast.

Finally like Basher said get that ballast behind the rear axle close to the tailgate, I use 500-600 of ballast on my truck.

Hope this helps, and have fun in the white stuff purplebou

Curtie Man

8. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

go to any lift shop they will have a 2 inch spacer will go above the spring

9. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

What are the timbrens?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I just put timbrens on my '04 when I had it. It had a blizzard 760lt on it with no problems. You'll hardly have any sag with timbrens on.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That year did not use coil springs.
    They use torsion bars like on chevs.

13. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

I told my buddy about them im going to push hard for him to buy them. Thanks a lot for the great info.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  14. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

adjust torsion bars ,timbrens make the ride pretty hard.

JR

15. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

I have adjusted them up. You go to tight they will snap. Ever seen a Asto van driving with a tire in a fender? I have and also have fixed them as well nothing is harder than fixing a broken torsion bar especially if it were to happen in 6" of snow with a plow on in someones driveway. LOL im trying to prevent this now cause I will be the one doing it not my buddy who is an electrician.