1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sitting for extended timeframes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kutnkru, Feb 19, 2003.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

Okay stupid as this sounds I did a search for "pain and butt" but found nothing on how you guys deal with an aching arse while plowing for days upon days -LOL!!

This past storm, I spent the first 26 hrs since Monday at 3am salting and sanding our stuff -- then I spent the next 10 hrs helping a friend who was totaled by a kid flying thru the neighborhood (55+mph) -- and the last 8 or so doing driveways for a realtor whos plowguy fell thru on his commitment to get their homes opened up to be showcased for sale.

Besides have sore knuckles (from dragging my tired butt around to get this stuff done) how do you guys who live in the major snow belts keep from aching rumps when you guys have to plow for days upon days??

It gets tuffer and tougher to get out and do walks the longer you sit in that darn truck, and then its gets tufer and tougher to sit in the truck to plow -arrggghhhh!!!

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Take your wife / GF with you,,,,when you get the achy butt sin-drome :D take a break and have her massage it :p Then it will be ready to go again...ROFLMAO !!!!!!!
  3. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude Junior Member

Can't really speak from experience, but I think it would help to keep reminding myself of all the money I'm making. :cool:
  4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Buy a Superduty. Very comfortable seats. Never have had a sore butt.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Kris, my lower back gets to me if im sitting a long.long time (over 16 hrs).I try to get otu and stretch for am inute,but in thsi storm you couldnt get out without getting soaked.When i clear off the windshield I straighten out,and that helps me a lot.My back was killign me last night after 26 hrs straight,3 hrs sleep,6 hrs in the loader,3 hrs in the truck.Then riding snowmobiles around the house with my kids(kids got stuck,LOL).Getting kids unstuck.
  6. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

In my experience, buy a SuperDuty with cloth seats. I have the woven vinyl seats, they are a pain in the *ss (literally). Currently searching for take-off cloth seats for my truck. Lost one on E-Bay, someone outbid me by 5 bucks and I didn't notice until the auction closed.
  7. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude Junior Member

That's called "sniping." You got sniped. In the future, you can fight back by going to www.esnipe.com
  8. kutnkru

You are only .. how old????

What's it going to be like 20 years from now???

I like kipcom 's answer, he seems to know, first hand. Ha, Ha.
    Or just put your pager on vibrate and switch between your 2 back pockets.

On a serious note .. What kind of truck and seats do you have ?? Some after market seat pads/cushions are great.

Good Luck
  9. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I have a sore rear after 27 hrs in the truck. I don't think it would have been that bad, but I didn't take my wallet out of my back pocket. I will never sit that long with my wallet again. Man that hurts now.
    90 Ford bench seat is pretty cozy. But the new superduty seats that are the cloth (captain chairs I think) are real nice.
    Oh well.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

Ive got the '01 Dodge 3/4 ton POS and I will have to check into a better bench or the capn's chairs. I was even ready to mug a few stranded truckers of their air-rides about 30 hrs into the storm LOL!!

Usually like John D said its not to bad as your able to stretch from time to time, but this storm it fell quicker than most and it seemed like a b-to-the-wall storm!!

It just got so awkward trying to walk to shovel after sitting for so long a duration.

BTW when I get "older" I wont have to worry about it as I will have planned/started my retire funds out of the snowbelts -LOL!!

Thanks for the input. :D
  11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

About 10 years ago I started doing this. Ever few hours or so, I would get the truck in an open area, get out and do a walk around. Get back in and keep going for a few hours. Doing this would allow me to get stuff cleaned off if snow covered, and to check the plow over.

I still do this today, takes 5 mins and worth everyone.

12. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Our 95 Ford bench seat has gotten pretty squishy, so I use a lumbar support pillow behind my low back, which helps. The Durango has really comfortable seats, but I do get stiff after being in it all day. Amen to the above suggestion to get out and walk around for five minutes. I do this, too, and it does make a difference. You have to take a bathroom break now and then anyway, right? (Please don't tell me you guys just pull over and pee at the side of the truck:eek: ) Steve does get a sore butt after being in the Bobcat all day, so I fulfill my wifely duty to give him a massage (only after the storm, though):D I have more of a problem with my neck/shoulders from turning around front to back so much. I use my mirrors as much as possible, but you know that doesn't always work to see everything . . .

I was reading something about how people on airplane flights of longer than two hours will sometimes get blood clots from sitting too long, and it can be fatal. They recommend getting up and walking around for five or ten minutes every two hours. So I figure this can't hurt while plowing either, although I have never heard of this actully happening to anyone, have any of you?
  13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll tell you my body is hurtin' bad. I will be searching out a massage tomorrow some how, some where. I was in a back hoe for most of the week, and I developed some sharp pains right above the knees from the pedal work. The left arm got a serious pain in a new spot from using the shifter in there. And I got a turning the head back & forth pain too that's not going away as quick as I'd like. I might be gettin old!! :eek: Getting out and waling like Geoff mentioned really helps a lot (usually LOL). I will take the time to stretch like before working out as often as I remember to & this also helps greatly.
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I do like Geoff suggested, plow a spot clean and walk around a bit to stretch things out. And yeah, if ya gotta' go, the side of the truck is as good a place as any!
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Did the results include a picture of my ex?
  16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

try not driving with your wallet in your back pocket
  17. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

My wallet isn't a problem. It's pretty thin.

Like plow babe said. Blood clots could be a problem. Who knows? Great idea to walk around. Shoveling a few walks helps and provides a little excercise for myself.
  18. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

GMC Lumbar

99-02 GMCs had a captain chair option that had a manual lumbar option. It was great, just change the lumbar once in awhile and it does wonders. Some idiot at GM (accountant?) got rid of that feature for '03. I was ready to take my old sets with me before the trade! Only way to get them now is in the SLT leather, captain chair option (yep, costs almost as much as the plow!).

Anyways, keep your eyes out for the adjustable lumbar seats, I thought they did the trick.