1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Site to Site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SuperiorService, Dec 14, 2011.

1. SuperiorService

SuperiorService Junior Member

It's 1am and its time to get started, You get a mile down the road and WOW
    It snowed almost twice the amount here than back home(3"-6").
    You still have a mile or two to your first site.............
    City plow trucks still haven't been out and the snow is getting clumped up from other trucks

What do you do while your traveling to the site?

Put your plow all the way down and go?????
    Lower it 2"-4" off the pavement??????
    Keep it 6" off just for the bigger clumps?????

2. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Nothing!!! That's the cities job.

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Nothing they wont pay you, so drive through and make your money. Big clumps angle your plow right or left and keep going.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You Turn around and go Back Home...Their is too much Snow on the Road....:eek:....:dizzy:

5. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

:laughing:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you had a load of white lighting ,I'm sure you'd keep going if the cops were after you!

7. Matson Snow

You bet i Would.......But, im Drunk most of the Time Anyway......:drinkup:

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm confused, why would there be clumps if no city trucks have been out especially in the road. I don't know if anyone would drop their blade if they're not getting paid and 6" isn't that much snow to be driving through any ways.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

im-watching-you-25196-1249328887-4.jpg

im-watching-you-25196-1249328887-4.jpg

10. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Whaaaaaaat? What are these clumps you speak of? Why would you plow a road,street,or anything that your not supposed to do? Trying to give the benefit of the doubt on this question but.....WTF???

11. Matson Snow

Now Thats Funny.....You get the Gold Star for the Day......:laughing:

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I would go home, park the truck, and take the hyundai

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Or better yet just plow it and bill them, ya never know they might just pay you. I actually got my salt reloaded a few years ago. There was an intersection on a busy street that was covered in ice and there were already a few fender benders and I called the township to ask if they wanted me to salt it they said yes and they would reload my hopper fully. (I knew them at the time). So for laying down maybe a couple hundred pounds of salt I got well over 2 tons of salt.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. SuperiorService

SuperiorService Junior Member

I live in east TN and this is a busy trucking area so on my way to the truck stops where I plow the trucks make their path through the snow and well it clumps the snow up between the tires, they have 18" of clearance, I don't, so when its snow good it piles up to the point it feels like snow is rubbing the frame as I'n driving.
    I don't mean plow the city road for free, I mean make it safer for you to get from site to site and and not just be driving through high snow.

You know, some of the answers you people posted are answer I would expect from school kids, You people act like you don't know what I'm talking about and yes there is still other drivers on the road even if the city hasn't plowed yet.

Lets all think and reply like big people.....

15. NickT

NickT Senior Member

We re just havin fun dude, nothing personal,you asked kinda of a silly question, what answer would have sufficed you? I think everyone s a little stir crazy from not having snow. Cheers!!!

16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Are you insured to plow roads? It is a different insurance than just your standard commercial plowing insurance, If someone says you caused a snow drift while plowing and that's the cause of their accident you will be liable; or if you have an accident while that plow is down your insurance wont cover it. Have you ever had to replace you cutting edges? Are you aware of how fast you wear down your cutting edges while plowing at speed? Is your plow vehicle a 4x4, if so put it in 4x4 and drive. Will the snow cause damage to your truck as you drive? If not than why would you care if its rubbing.

Oh and if you're not aware it is illegal to plow any public property without a written contract to top it off. Because if it wasn't every Mr. PlowMan would be plowing the roads with their new big boy plow to show everyone how great it is and causing accidents. It may seem simple but there's some method to safely plowing roads.

Bottom line, this is one of those things you can be glad you thought about before doing it.

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I don't unerstand the picture but that is creepy Jim.

18. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Very creepy its like the eyes see right through you

19. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

keep driving to your lot and concentrate on your work

20. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Myself and a neighbor live about 12-13 miles out of town. We drive in seperate and do our own seperate work. Point is I can't get my plow high enough to get over the big drifts sometimes to keep my plow from smashing them and putting snow on the windshield at 30-50mph. Not good. Last thing I do is plow a road! WTF?