1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Site Specific Blizzard Plan

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

An RFP I'm working on asks for site specific blizzard plan, something I've never run into before. I did a search on here and came up with nothing. Any ideas?

Obviously we have things we all do when theres heavy snow forecasted.... call in our brothers, dads, uncles, cousins, former employees, etc to run extra trucks, but what would be a site specific plan?

I could always call the customer and ask, but I prefer not to do that.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm only guessing but maybe they are looking for equipment that will be on site for the entire storm. Also if you have extra equipment that might be coming to the site in this situation.

There are so many part time plowers that many are at a full time job during the day.

It's fine to ask for all this stuff but until the storm hits no one really knows if the equipment is in place.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

It might be more like where do you put the extra snow? Maybe leaving parking areas alone at first and focusing on opening up drive lanes entrances exits etc?
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

how long you will be on site, how often you plan on checking site or plowing (ex. plow every 2 inches or every 30 minutes), bringing in skidloaders, etc.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

As you say this is a RFP, they usually have a question and answer period. Send them an email and see where it goes.
  6. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

You pretty much answered you own question.....The customer is looking for a Blizzard plan for "Their" site......What and how are you going to deal with a Blizzard when it occurs on their site.....In other words....How are you going to deal with it....SIMA, i believe has some Blizzard plans available to contractors who are members....You can tweek those to be site specific....
  7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the input guys.

I guess I've always been of opinion that's its our job to worry about how to get the job done. I've heard things like "the guys who did it last year had to bring in a loader to dig out the docks last year, what do you guys charge for that?" Ummmm whatever we charge to plow....its our job to clear the parking lot regardless of the conditions...