1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Site maps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motoxguy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I'm trying to put together maps for where i would like to have all the snow pushed on the sites and was wondering what website you can use to get an aerial view of a property.

2. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Couple different places. You can start with downloading google earth. Not always 100% percent up to date but it usually works pretty good.

Another good spot is the county auditor website. Usually click on map tools and you can do a hybrid sat / aerial / road picture.

3. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Bing maps works for me:waving:

4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

for this purposes google maps, yes. If your looking for something else interesting we sometimes use goilawn.com, but its not free.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya that birds eye view is great!

6. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

thanks for the input

7. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

+1 for the bird's eye view on bing, better picture than Google satellite map.

If you have MS paint or Adobe Illustrator, you can mark out property lines and pile locations really easily.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

google earth is getting greedy, in the previous version you could draw polygons on the map and use them to measure area, did all my bids this year this way, the new update came out and took the feature away, to get it you'll have to pay $400 for the pro version.

9. lawnlandscape

Thats not really all that bad. We use goilawn.com for measuring up lawn areas a lot for our lawn mowing and lawn fertilization bidding. I believe it costs us just under $2.00 for every property we lookup. A 1 year unlimited license at goilawn is $2,500.

Is that $400 good forever, or yearly? Can you measure things like lawns accurately?

10. lawnlandscape

hmm... just played around with google earth. Can't zoom in to properties nearly as close as I can with go i lawn. Picture quality is also much much better with goilawn.

11. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

The recent update sucks. Everything is grainy, and less clear than it used to be.
    Even at higher altitude.

12. lawnlandscape

update with google or goilawn? I'm assuming your talking about google. I never have any problems with goilawn

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ya but goilawn is much more accurate and gives you more options for measuring, google was pretty plain jane with the polygons.

14. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've been messing around with google earth. Is there anyway of getting the resolution better like it used to be? Is it something where I have to buy the pro version?

15. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

We use google earth and then scale the pics into AutoCAD where we do the markups of area to be plowed, where to pile the snow, walkways and other information such as emergency contact info, etc. We also use it for measuring.

16. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I can see larger commercial outlines but when I get close as I can I cant make out gas station or residential size properties. Seems like I missing either better resolution or maybe I'm in the wrong view. Hehe I even went so far as to use bings birds eye view and scetched it over my laptop :/.

17. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

didnt goilawn just jack there prices up like double?