1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Site for Snow Depth Tracking?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by dfcarlso, Dec 16, 2013.

1. dfcarlso

dfcarlso Junior Member
    from CT

I charge my commercial accounts based on 3 inch increments and I am looking for a good site that tracks snowfall depth by city/town and specifically in Fairfield County, CT. My goal, is to be able to provide a full breakout during each billing, beyond simply a reported news number.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Be-careful of using official sites.They figure snow totals differently. I live a mile from the airport and that is the official site. We had snow over the weekend they came up with 4 inches but we were over 8-10 if you were to measure it yourself.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo! I used to live about a mile from the Nws office in Chanhassen,MN and mine were normally different from theirs.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I go off of what is on the ground at the site not any weather station. They are all over the place. Saying .5 inch and I have 2" and so on. Come to think of it can't ever remember when they have had more. Oh I did cut off the first inch of my ruler. :p

5. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

Weather man= Best Job in the World... You get paid to guess and be wrong.:eek:

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ain't that the truth!

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Wow, a 6 inch difference in one mile is alot

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not in lake effect areas.

9. Billious

Billious Member

From my contract: "1. Both trigger depth and billed depth of snow removed will be measured either by the contractor at the pavement, not to include drifts or by official reporting from the Dane County Airport, whichever is higher."

I hedge my bets.

10. dfcarlso

dfcarlso Junior Member
    from CT

Appreciate all the quick responses and feedback. I thought I was crazy for simply using a yardstick in the lots, but it is a bit more logical then basing it off of someone else's measurement I guess.