1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Site equipment issues........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

What criteria do you use to decide whether to have your loader/tlb trailered back to the shop or if it's better to send your mechanic out to the site for repairs, obviously some are not "field fixabe" but where do you draw the line on having your guy out in the cold. We have 3 tlb's and 1 loader out on snow sites, we have one truck and trailer that can move the tlbs and none that can move the loader(we hire a lowboy).

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I don't have any loaders, but I use to transport them. I can tell you trailering them in the middle of a storm is no fun at all, in fact it is down right scary depending on the size.

3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If we can get them back to our shop or dealer that is our preferred place to repair or have them repaired. In some cases they get field fixed. Some situations time is a big issue and we field repair them. The other year I had our L35 Volvo break down on the side of the road with a electrical issue. The whole computer board fried up and luckily we somehow got the machine in someones yard for the week until the part came in. Guy from the dealer said no problem, he'd change it out in the field.
    It's part of working in winter.