1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sirius Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by amscapes03, Dec 29, 2005.

1. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

:help: Does anyone know if ford radios have a auxilary input....i've got a 2003 F-350, basic Am/Fm/Cd Stereo. Gotta get it hooked-up before the next storm.............New Years Eve :dizzy:

2. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

I Dont Think The Stock Unit Does. But Your Sirius Reciever Sends Out A Fm Modulated Signal Which Gets Picked Up By Your Radios Antenna You Have To Go Through The Opions And Turn On The Feature

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

What he said. Thats what I had to do with my sirius radio

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

thanks guys!!!

5. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

your factory ford radio does not have an aux input unless it actually has an aux button on the front(for factory cd changers). The sirius unit has a wireless fm modulator. For better sound clarity and less fading in/out they sell a wired fm modulator

6. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have a 2003 F150 and I have my sirius run on a fm station and it works great.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I also have a Sirius Satellite radio in my Ford 250 and in the last couple of weeks it almost stop working completely.When you turn it on it says"Antenna Not Detected."So I follow the wire all the way to the roof where the antenna in mounted to check for split or something and I can't figure it out...all know is once you have it you can't live without it.

8. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

the sound quality/clarity of the wireless fm modulator depends on where you live....(here in chicago they don't work that great)
    lux lawn- i work a lot with sat radios and car stereos and its most likely the antenna even though there is no split. these antenna wires are so thin anything can mess them up. i have had a couple of customers with the same problem and they just bought a new antenna and it fixed their problem. they run about $30. I'm not guaranteeing this will work but it should-

9. timberjack

timberjack Member

Try slightly unplugging your antenna at the unit. By that, i mean pull the plug out a 1/16" or 1/8" or so. I have the Streamer GT, and since it was a few months old, i find it loses reception once in awhile, and get the same error message. Either i plug it back in all the way, or pull it out that 1/16" or so, whichever is oppisite of the current situation. It's always worked for me. I guess i could have gotten a new one under warranty, but think it's up now.

I also only put my antenna on the dashboard as far forward as possible. I don't like the idea of allowing the door to open and close on the wire repeatedly. I used a bit of velcro on the dash and antenna to keep it from sliding around. There are no skyscrapers where i drive, and i very rarely lose reception while out on the logging roads. It has to be really grown over bad.

Ken

10. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

I am looking into this radio deal and all u have to do is tune ur stock radio to the station the sat radio says to goto? Then u get the sat radio?

11. timberjack

timberjack Member

ShannonS, That's pretty much the deal,

It depends a bit though, the one i bought, the Sirius "Streamer GT" allows you to pick what FM frequency you want the unit's modulator to broadcast on. The other one i looked at, the "Starmate", only allowed 5 or 6 frequencies near 87.9 and up, in increments of .2 i believe. You can still pick a unique one, but i preferred being able to use the whole range of the FM band.

A lot of times i will just turn the unit on in my truck, and tune my shop or house radio to the frequency i picked. I find it usually works up to about 100-150 feet real well, as long as there isn't a distant station also using the same frequency.

Ken

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm not using the stock radio but love satellite system and would never have it different. This is what I did, kinda extreme but love the set up, the satellite control is the little blueish deal under the radio, the other controller seen in the pick is for my navigation system.

Satlite Radio.jpg

13. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Thats alot of stuff to be putting in my company truck. Dad owns it but I drive it and they selling the sirius deal for 79.00, 50 dallor rebate so this i think would be a great a deal.

14. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/auxford.html

They are called PIE auxiliary input converters, basically if your stock Ford radio has cd changer controls you can use this. It plus into where the cd changer plugs into on the back of the radio and adds a set of RCA inputs. I use this on my 00' F150, stock radio with changer controls. When you want to listen to the Sirius you just his the CD button twice and it selects that input, works excellent!

15. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

I Found That Depending On Where I Am I Need To Change The Station From 88.7 To 89.1 Some Time I Pick Up College Radio Stations That Use Those Low Frequencies Its Annoying Sometimes But I Deal With It. I Saw Some Vehicle Specific Adapter At Best Buy And Circuit City The Conect Through Cd Changer In Puts.

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Just wondering why every word starts in uppercase letters ?

17. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I just installed the PIE adapter on my Stock Ford Single CD Radio. Ran a monster cable minijack to RCA converter from the Sirius in to the adapter and now I am set. Works great, doesnt take up a pre-set, no static.

For about $100 and an hour of work, this makes the satellite radio work great.

Ordered mine from Crutchfield, called them and they asked a couple questions and sent the right parts to me an two days.

18. SNOWMAN0420

SNOWMAN0420 Member

type with caps lock on it automatically changes to lower case leaving the first letter in caps.
    I DONT KNOW WHY.