1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Siren PAs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Apr 3, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

how many of you guys out there put siren, PAs on there plow trucks?

2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

we dont need that cuz we are all hooked with radio's and cell phones. But if i had one i would play very very loud ice ice baby at some of the sh#@! places i do. Had one place that sucked so bad the were yelling and beating on the equipment because they were snowed in but they only paid for the minium service and got mad because they were not first and then when they got the bill they had a fit (condo plex) and its in court now but thats another story....

3. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Siren/P.A.

I have them on two of my trucks and they are a great asset. The P.A. is extremely helpful when knuckle-heads wont get out of the way while plowing a lot. The airhorn is really an attention getter! A+!

4. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

PA Speaker

I have been wanting to put one on the semi, but didn't know exactly what I should get, or which one would work. Didn't seem to be a lot of info on it when I was searching for it. The PA would come in very handy while in the semi around the worksite, or maybe even on the road with all the knuckleheads out there. Will any of the siren speakers work, or are there special ones just for PAs? Radio Shack had one, but didn't know for sure if it would work. Any advice?

Jeff

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Most any good CB has a PA built in. all you need to do is run a good outdoor speeker behind the grill.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I used to have a CB/PA setup in my S15. Came from Radio Shack, so definately not high-end stuff, but effective.

Back in high school my friends had two cars with them, a Cavalier and a Sunbird. No one else knew about it. We could hook one PA speaker into the external speaker jack for the CB, and sit in the other car a row or two away... then have the car talking to pedestrians as they walked by... sure had people scratching their heads how a car with no people in it could carry on a conversation with them!! :nod: Ahhh the stupid crap we used to do for fun....

7. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Pa

I have the CB with a PA jack, what I was wondering about was the speaker. Will any siren speaker work, or does it need to be special?

Jeff

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Just standard pa speakers you can buy on ebay.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Radio Shack has them, I think around $20 or so.

10. John O.

John O. Member

if you want a good one that will be loud and have real siren tones you have to get one off a police supply catalog. Go to www.galls.com and you will find anything and everything for Siren Pa s to police tactical gear

11. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i have an electric airhorn, no pa or siren cause id end up in jail for harasment.

just like with everything theres crap and then good stuff

the top of the line would be whelen. siren set ups run around 2-300 and the siren speaker which is 100 watts is another 100 or so

just so you know the air horn is legal, and do come with a pa for about 250 from whelen for the pack, and the siren is an additional 100

siren bad news written all over it cops dont like them and very tempting to use at inneproperate times

mine is set up on the switch box with the lights. when i turn the switch on it powers up the airhorn so when i hit the horn on the steering wheel you hear airhorn. when the switch is off and you hit the horn you get the regular horn.