1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single vs. two stage blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Aura Lawns, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

So here's the deal, I'm based in northern Virginia. Snow around here is common but accumulations and types of snow are very inconsistent. Presently I am shoveling and using my backpack blower but I am looking to buy a snowblower. My question is which would be a better option, I know each machine has its pros and cons. Each has its good uses, I will be lifting it into and out of the back of my jeep commander. I was looking at a front plow but the commander is not built for it. Then I looked at a pull plow, but for the inconsistent amounts of plowable snow and how how little I will use it, it's not worth it and a pull plow isn't meant to be a replacement for a front plow. I will be doing at most 50 driveways but that is a high estimate, but just in case I want to be equipped.

So my question is which machine would you go with based on my situation? This will only be for one season until next season when I get my truck, then the snowblower will be used for walks and commercial sidewalks.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

looks like you want to run with a toro single stage. You can manhandle the single stages in and out of trucks easier.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Toro or Honda single stage, light and do just fine.

4. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

That's what I was thinking but we have some really steep and long driveways here that having a two stage would be nice to have.

5. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

So why did you ask? :waving:

Do you have a trailer hitch? Get a wheel chair platform for the trailer hitch and run around with your 2 stage on that.Thumbs Up

6. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Well you see my dilemma, each machine has several things going for it and thats why I asked for input. I am liking the idea of the cargo carrier but thats another $250 to spend that I won't make this season.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A cargo rack for the reciver hitch,

Start with a 2stage if money is a issue, if not get one of each.
    Why the 2 stage becuse it will do what a single stage does and more...

What limit your tools.

Me, I just use a 2stage, if I need it.

If your questioning $250
    Stick with a grain scoop

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:nono:
    ;)

11. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

ez snow plow is not in business anymore. I was looking at snowman 75lda but for 3400 I might as well buy a front plow. I mean I am seriously considering a pull plow but I was told that the couldn't replace a regular plow... Could they, because if they can I'm gonna buy a pull plow and forget about the snowblower

12. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Also this is only for 1 season, so buying the residential model of the pull plow may not be my best option.

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This is interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQwdh9em6k

Buy a Toro Single stage COMMERCIAL. it has Kevlar blades, and will last you forever.... I will only buy from my local Mom and POP Toro dealer, as I have been very happy with their service.

Kick ass machine, BTW for $599. Fastest machine I've ever used.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. CELandscapes

CELandscapes Senior Member

We sold all our two stage and bought all toro single stage. It was the best investment we've made. They are quick and throw the snow just as far as the big ones

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'll reiterate my thoughts.

They SUCK when it comes to large chunks of ice that have been blown back up onto sidewalks (or other areas) as the rubber blades can't "munch" the ice chunks like my two stage unit can easily do.

Other than that, they're a fantastic investment, and I couldn't ever see myself not using one again. I hardly ever use the 2 stage unit any longer, unless of course, the above happens.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ i agree,

why would you limit yourself?

if you only have a single stage and find yourself trying to clear a sidewalk that is filled in from the plow with chunks of snow from the frozen berm, your single stage is basically useless, now your hand shoveling.
    not much of a time saver now is it.

17. CELandscapes

CELandscapes Senior Member

We rarely have frozen chunks. Most residential we do don't have sidewalks to begin with. But I see your point as well.

18. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

wheelchair carrier and a 24" snowblower thats my setup
    [​IMG]

19. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

You are the one that gave me the information that led to my suggestion...thanks.

20. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Local dealers are sold out, but based on the above and other posts here, I ordered a 721QZR online this afternoon. It's supposed to be "Prosumer" grade. I figured I could get by alright without the electric start.
    The local dealer who carries Husqvarna wasn't answering the phone today, so since the same online vendor had drift cutters and a weight bar in stock for my two-stage, I ordered those, too.

The Toro might only get used on my deck, but I can foresee other uses for it, too. I don't think even the guys who plow the state road out in front of our place can heave ice chunks up onto the deck. :D