1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Stage vs 2 Stage Snowblower's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ICindrich, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I've been looking at snowblowers, toro's especialy because thats what every one here seems to have. Have heard great things about single stage, but they kind of look like cheesy home owner stuff?! Anyway, what is the difference between single and 2 stage blower? thanks as always!

Ivan

2. BOMBER

BOMBER Member

single stage uses just the front augers (more like paddles usually) running at a higher speed to gather snow and throw it.

two stage uses the front augers running at a slower speed to gather snow and a second high speed impeller to throw the snow.

the high speed impeller is where many a finger has been lost due to people overloading the machines then trying to clear the blockage with their hand.

always buy the next size up when it comes to snow removal equipment.

also mfgs have gone to multiple shear pins lately. older blowers had two shear pins, break one and lose half the machine. newer blowers have up to 6 shears pins, break one you might not even notice it.

single stage is good for smaller almost hand held throwers that are used for decks, patios and entrance paths.
    two stage is made for driveways and sidewalks.

items not needed........ headlights, heated hand grips, tracks, chains,cabs,fancy chute controls.

items needed........two stage,HP,width,multi shear pin design,true snow tire tread not just open knobby or chevron pattern,electric on board start.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  3. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Bomber,

I agree the heated hand grips are not needed but after having them on my last two machines I must say they are nice, really nice.

bob

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Well the two kinds are really meant for different purposes, so a better question is what do you need a snowblower for?

5. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Ivan,

I thought the same thing about the single stage blowers myself. I happened to come across a reasonably priced used one a few years back, so I jumped on it. I'm glad I did, rather than buying the monster 2 stage the I was looking at. For the limited sidewalk work that my guys do, it works great! It's quick, throws snow as far as it needs to, and it's easily lifted in and out of the trucks. I'd buy more Toros in a heart beat, the best single stage out there, IMHO.

But, like Grn Mtn said, it's all about what it's going to be used for...... Size of the walks, normal depth of the snow, distance it must be thrown, etc.

6. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Back in the day, single-strage snowblowers were rugged. To find the rugged ones, they are tractor mounted nowadays. You need a lot of snow for the single-strage though, because if you don't have much snow, you won't get much pressure to push the snow up the chute.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Single stage snowblowers usually will have rubber paddles which will or should clean directly down to the pavement! The rubber paddles pick up the snow off of the pavement and throw it thru the chute. When the paddles contact the pavement, they pull the snow blower along a little bit. You have to guid them a little bit and sometimes you have to push them but for the most part they propel themselves.

Overall advantages of a single stage snow blower:
    Lightweight, Space-saving, Lower Priced, Cleans to pavement, Powerfull

Two stage snowblowers will have a steel or metal auger system. The auger will spin very fast to cut up the snow and then the impller which moves slowly picks up the snow and blows it out the chute. Two stage machines rest on skid plates which slide along the ground so the auger does not come in contact with the pavement. This means they will leave a tiny bit of snow left on the pavement which is usually less then a 1/2 inch. The two stage units have a drive system on them as well.

Overall adgvantages of a two stage unit:
    Handles larger amounts snow, handles packed snow better (like the stuff at the end of a driveway after the plow comes by).

The TORO snowblowers are the BEST out there followed somewhat closley by AREINS. Other than that its all down here. My Dealer is a Toro dealer and has no problem selling the TORO line of snowblowers over any other brand wether it be a single or two stage unit. I own 3 Toro snowblowers and they are the best investment I could have made. I own a CCR2450, A CCR3650, and a Toro Powermax (two stage) 7-26 snowblower which has the TORO R-TEK 2 stroke engine. All work excellent and I recomend them every chance I get!!

You Can't go wrong with a TORO snow blower!!!

Joe Yarmel
    J&R Lawn and Landscaping

8. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I am glad to hear that you recommend the Toro so highly as I am just about to purchase one I think it is in the PowerMax series, a 1028 LXE or something like that, anyway, 2 stage 10hp Tecumseth snowking engine ,18 inch power steering..(grin) Don't know if power steering is going to be worth a hill of beans but I'll check it out. I did have some concernes with all that plastic on it, (especially the plastic joystick for the chute control) but my Toro dealer assures me he has not had any problems with them. I have had a couple of people telling me I should get a cheaper one (they say I am paying for the name with a Toro,) I think, from what all you seasoned guys are saying that I am making a good choice.

Thanks for all the great posts you guys make, I have been in the biz for a few years but this is my first year to add a snowblower to the mix. I am looking forward to snow now.:redbounce

ET