1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single stage Toro snowblowers

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by A&J Landscaping, Nov 9, 2015.

1. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

Looking at getting 4 of the Toro single stage snow blowers for our shovel crews. Im looking for some feedback on guys that run these snow blowers good and bad. Thanks
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Got any pics?
    This is a thread for pics of tools , ,,,,equipment & vehicles.
  3. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Great machines that won't let you down. Get the largest size you can afford... your sidewalk crews will thank you!
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have a few and so far so good. It seems the older 2 stroke ones have a bit more power than the new 4 stroke but both perform well and we've beat the crap put of them. They'll move just about everything, obviously wet slush won't go as far but it will move it. We've only replaced 1 set of paddles on the older 2 stroke in all these years.
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

One like this?

6. exmark

exmark Senior Member

I have fourteen of them. They're great little machines. Easy to move in and out of the truck and can fit anywhere. I also have a couple 2 stages. You may want to get at least one incase you get a ton of snow fast. You'll want the extra power to push through it.
  7. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

This is the one we have..

It does decent on the lighter snows.. Once you get into the wet heavy snow it goes downhill.. Still works but not as effective.. Id get get at least a two stage like someone else recommended.. More of a pain to move but if you need to chew through some snow it will be great!! I also have an older yard man with tracks on it 9hp 2 stage and man will it plow through some snow!! I refuse to use the new machines with tires
  8. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

We bought a couple toro single stages this year. From what i've read and seen they are a nice machine. Just don't expect it to do what a 2 stage can do.
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

95% of the time it will do more...and faster and with much less human effort.
  10. I run the Toro 721 Commercial Grade blowers and I couldnt be happier. I have never had to pull the cord more than once to get them to start. Even this year I pulled them out of storage to make sure they are good to go and even after sitting since last winter they all started first pull. I will also tell you these machines are tanks. There were several snowfalls I didn't think these blowers could get through and boy was I wrong. We even sucked up a guy's christmas lights because he had an extension cord running across his walkway under the snow and the little machine just kept going. lol

Nothing stops these things!

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I run a toro 721 and its great up to a foot of snow. Any more my 1969 ariens comes out to play.
  12. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

Agreed, thats why we bought a couple. They will handle everything we need it to do. The 2 stage will only come out for big thick stuff if at all....I doubt we will get in a position where a single stage can't handle it. Just saying there is still a place for a 2 stage for some.
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I agree with you.
  14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

after I bought the commercial version (different chute adjustment and thicker kevlar paddles) I was floored at how much I used it, vs the monster 2 stage I own.

I still take both with me. Most of the time I use the single stage. On rare occasions, if I have to tackle some heavy, pushback snow from the street, chunky ice stuff or super deep, I'll pull the 2 stage out. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and most likely will to have it on hand.
  15. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have a whole bunch of the 721 toros and they are awsome. Guys love them. One pull and let her rip.
  16. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

I have 8 of them and they work well. Keep an eye on paddle wear and belt wear. Buy an extra set for each you own and two belts for each. Keep as inventory. Replace both each season.
  17. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

thanks for this info. Here in my part of texas we don't get a great deal of snow, but I've considered picking up a snowblower for doing resi driveways if we get some accumulations and my current (lawn care) customers ask for snow removal.

Seems like this toro 721 might be just the ticket. I am still doing my research to see whether is a worthwhile investment, and info like this at least points me in the right direction (I think) for machine selection. Rarely do we see over a foot of snow (in 10 years, I cannot remember a single storm that dropped 10 inches straight...so a toro would be a cost effective tool.

Although limited in snow accumulation, ice can be a bigger problem here, so I will be doing a bunch more research to see if that could be a service worth messign with. The liability concerns me though...LOL.
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

When I was a "kid" we spent some time at Reese Air Force Base.

I rember it snowing a few times.

A single stage would work ...
    But it still takes time,
    Sure it's faster than shoveling.

Think more to the side of the box.

In a fraction of time you could apply a liquid .
    With your miled temps a liquid would really perform well for you.
    And a hand held sprayer for the walks,

You could pretreat also so the Texans don't freak out over the snow.....

I think with a pre treat and a second treatment if needed would insure a clear drive

Just an idea,
  19. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

thanks snofarmer....thats another option for sure and one that I havent considered yet. I will do some searches on here to see how that could work for me.

I do have a question about the toro 721 series though. I think having the chute control on the higher resi model would be a worthwhile addition. Can the commercial grade paddles that go on the 721 RC model be put on the 721 qz series with the chute control after the original paddles wear down?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  20. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Got a few inches of wet snow yesterday. Our two Toro 721 RC's plowed through it like nothing.

Yes, I think, but you need a $50 conversion kit. Something like that.