1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Stage Snowblower Toro or Honda

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Dec 6, 2013.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking for opinions please on two single stage snowblowers,the new Toro 721R commercial or the Honda HS520Q?Thanks.

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You really can't go wrong with a Honda. Toro seems to have a weird mix of crappy or knockoff engines.

3. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

We used to run Honda but switched to toro, have had no issued with them at all and the units and parts are half the price of the Hondas. Going to pick up some of the new 721r this season and see how they work out.

4. TheHammer

TheHammer Junior Member

This is Honda's last year for the HS520's for the US market. Next year they are releasing the HS720 commercial single stage snow blower (already available in Canada). To help move the HS520A's you can receive a free 2 year extra warranty on top of the standard 2 year warranty. So 4 total years through Jan 31st. Thumbs Up

5. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the response.
    TheHammer,thanks for the heads up.I looked on Honda of Canada web sight and saw the blower.I guess Honda USA isn't bringing it into the states until they sell stock of the H520's,doesn't really seem right to do to people,to me.

6. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

I have 2 toro's and 2 Honda's. With the back to back 10"+ storms last season, I can confidently say, much to my surprise, the toro's move snow better. The Honda's kept getting clogged with the wet heavy snow. I'm not saying the Toro was miles better but it was noticeable under the extreme conditions. I literally removed an ice BRICK from the discharge chute on a Honda at one point. In moderate snow not much if any difference. I paid $100 less a piece for the Toro's than the Honda's but they are little more awkward and bulky than the Honda's. Hope this helps.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I bought my first blower Since I drop my sidewalk crew this year and drop all the walk contacts Now on the lot contacts that has walks each rig will do there own walks Since Im getting to old run a shovel I bought me a 18'' Toro Single stage blower To test out if works I'll buy one for the other 2 trucks

The thing really blows a lot air out the chute I like it I can load it with out ramps Sunday I'll see how well works The dealer told if I don't like it I can bring back for a full refund. So could not pass on that deal

8. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

makes me cringe thinking about those back to back storms...

9. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have toros. I just picked up a new Honda this afternoon. Toro eager is no longer. I have a Honda blower with hydro which is great.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

One thing you might want to check is the cost to replace paddles and scraper edge.It costs me 40$ for my toros on ebay. I spend about 600$ a year just on wear items, it adds up.

11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 3 honda 520's, I use to love them, now it seems all we get is heavy wet snow and they are worthless...
    HAS TO BE DRY SNOW and it will shoot it 30' ft..

Just bought a 2 stage toro yesterday... Set me back $1000.... Man that thing was great last night, wet snow, pile of ice, it didnt matter, chewed it up and split it were ever you want it.

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What model was the 2 stage Toro for $ 1000 ?

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Toro 726OE Thumbs Up.. 2 guys lift in it a truck, its not bad at all to haul around

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I'll have to check that one out if it's that good with heavy, wet snow. Thanks