1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Stage or 2-stage Thrower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Jan 16, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

At this point I only have a car so nothing with ramps. I think a small 2 stage would fit, but they're like 120 lbs for the smallest. Now I'm strong, I work out and I know I can lift that much, especially with the help of my partner. However, it's very tough and I risk straining myself doing it alone and don't want the other person hurt. Would a single stage unit ( only weighing like 75 lbs ) be enough to get started and do a lotta driveways? Then maybe in a few years or something, if I make enough, I could get an old truck and put a ramp on it for a dual stage and add a plow, ect. But for now, I'm trying to do the best with what I have and can afford a thrower, but not a truck! If it gets too deep in some areas, I can use a shovel. So would a single stage be ok to start? If I get it from one of these authorized dealers who service the stuff right there? Thanks in advance for any replies!:confused:

2. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

we have all toro single stage snow blowers and they really rip in the snow.. we do have a 2 stage that really never gets used.. we only use them on walks and keep up on walks but at times they have cleared some pretty good size snow drifts.. i dont think u would get any more out of a small 2 stage than a bigger single stage.. it seems like your not scared to get out their and work so depending on how much snow u get in your area i think i would recommend the single.. i think worst case would be u would have to shovel the driveway at the end were the plows really plow it in..

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

So single stage units really are ok to start with. :p Yeah, I'm certainly not afraid to get out and work. I've done jobs b4 out in the snow. And have shuvled drives quickly with even a shovel, but it's exausting without a blower when u are going fast and it's deep. A single would be much easier to lift in and out of my trunk than a dual. 50 lbs makes all the difference in the world. I know my limites and 120 is about it; 75 is much more managable. :cool:

4. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Toro makes a pretty nice single stage snow thrower that I have used for some pretty decent snow on sidewalks. I don't know how well it would do on some of the bigger driveeways but they are a powerhorse. I also have a small Ariens dual stage for my bigger sidewalks, but I just leave that on site.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have both . this yr i sold my 2 stage the toro single stage can throw a lot of snow.
    john

6. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

re

How much does that Toro Single stage run? Will they move the snow just as fast as a dual stage ( of the same price range ) or close?

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the 2 stage it will throw more wet snow heavy stuff

8. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I believe the Toro was about $300-$400. Don't quote me on that though. It is a nice machine, about half the price of a small 2 stage. The only thing is a 2 stage will definetely do better with the wet heavy snow.

9. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

So people realy do multiple driveways with only a snowblower? How can you make money on that, doesn't it take too long? Sorry for the newb question, i was just wondering.

10. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I only use snowblowers for sidewalks. I have 2 3/4 trucks w/ plows. But, I have seen people with snowblowers in the back of a truck or van snowblowing. I don't think that you could make nearly as much money with a blower. It's almost not worth standing outside for hours snowblowing when it's really cold outside. It's 10, with windchill it's around zero here today.

11. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

My Toro single stage has plenty of power to get through just about anything, and it's nice and light as well.:gunsfiring:

12. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I do a route of 22 houses solo w/ only snowblowers and shovels. It's a tight route in suburbs with mostly single lane drives 30 ft or so long + walks. Whole route is 5-6 hrs with avg snowfall of 4". Bigger storms may take 24hrs non stop!!! Yuck. You can make $, but it's not easy. Must be ready 24/7 all winter. So far this year made zero dollars! Come on snow. I only do per event billing. Otherwise someone gets shafted and these are also landscaping customers I don't want to lose.

I like the toro snow commander single stage 7hp 24". Cleans better to pavement than 2 stage and handles wet snow better where the 2 stage would clog more easily. Still have both b/c 2 stage is good for big snows, end of drives plowed in, etc. Good luck!

13. PLOWMAN45

dude get a plow

14. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Yeah, maybe someday I'll get a plow. First I have to get a truck. lol
    So how do u use a plow to get snow out of driveways; pull up with the plow up then drop it, then back out and move it to the side or?

15. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I guess for the stuff that's too wet and heavy, if the single stage won't do it, then I'll just use one of my shovels. I'll just have to see I guess.
    Are these single stage units just as fast though ( for the same price )
    or do they take much longer? If they're just like 20% slower that's not too bad ( cause I need something light ) but 50% slower would almost be unprofitable it seems. It seems that the bades are a lot bigger on 2-stage units than single.:dizzy:

16. PLOWMAN45

how do you get to your driveways ?

17. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I'm planning on using my car ( putting the single stage unit in the trunk). I know it may not be anything pretty, but it's the only way I can do it now. Hopefully I'll be able to get several house right by each other or at least in the same addition.xysport

18. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

The best way to figure it out would be to go to a site that sells blowers and look at the differnt models. A single stage will be smaller so therefor it stands to reason that it will take longer. However since I plow snow, I don't know how long it would take to snowblow with either one.

19. PLOWMAN45

sell the car and snowblower and get a beater plow truck i seen tons of them on ebay

20. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

re-sell car

very funnyprsport