1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single-Stage,Honda or Toro

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Oct 31, 2011.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm thinking about buying a single-stage snowblower for walks,I'm looking for opinions on Honda vs.Toro please?Also specific models also,thanks.
  2. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I have both a older 5 h.p. Honda 4 stroke and a 4.5 toro 2-stroke ccr3000 or something. The Honda would probably suck up that toro and spit it out 20 feet if I let it. The toro just sputters the snow out like toothpaste. I've wanted to take that toro and smash it numerous times.
    The Honda is definitely heavier but it starts much easier and is about half the decibles of the toro which revs so loud you'd think it was going to detonate...

I know this is against the grain here as most people here think the Toro is the greatest but I disagree.

The newer Toros are 4-stroke which I don't have any experience with so those could be much better than the Toros of old..
  3. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Why not dual-stage? You'll just have better performance when the going gets tough.

Either way, Honda is the only way if you want quality.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

Toro all the way there lighter and have plenty of power. I have 3 Toro 221QR blowers and their all 2 stroke blowers and they have plenty of power to handle whatever we need.
  6. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Toro as well. Like what was said before LIGHTER. Had a Honda but after lifting in & out of the back of my truck 20 times a storm I was done. Honda's are a good machine but I've had 0 problems with my Toro
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Why would anyone subject themselves to lifting a snow blower? Whether the lighter Toro or the better Honda, get a ramp.
  8. Chicago Dave

Chicago Dave Junior Member
    from chicago

Honda 520 rocks, check out the steel shoot. then look at toro plastic short shoot.
    get the honda
  9. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

The Toro's only way 50 pounds.

The advantage of 1 stage over 2 stage is cost and speed. You can move much faster with a 1 stage as long as you aren't blowing 6" of snow or really heavy wet snow. They're also much easier to handle and maneuver. I would like to see a 2 stage do this!

10. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the replys.I had a Simplicity 2-stage for a while,it was a pain to take on and off the truck time wise,a 70 lbs.single-stage I could just lift it on and off.For the guys that favour Toro which model,I'm a little overwhelmed buy all the different modles they make?Dave,neat video but the snow does look pretty light and fluffy.
  11. KEC Maintaince

from N.J.

12. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

I was looking at the toros at my local dealer and well I just dont think that shoot set up is all that well designed. It looks cheap. How well has it held up and worked for you KEC?
  13. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have a toro and a Deere single stage. I prefer the toro over the Deere for the simple fact of the weight. The Deere is probably better built but I have never had any issues with the toro. I don't know anything about the Honda but I am sure they are top notch. I think the lighter the better especially if you have to take it in and out of your truck multiple times a event.
  14. Chicago Dave

Chicago Dave Junior Member
    from chicago

Honda will clear that just as fast, and throw the snow farther out of your way, LoL that was kinda kool to wach, :salute:
    I could have used your help with our blizzard in feb!
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thats a cool vid! wesport

Honda or Toro, you cant go wrong with either. I picked up a very nice used toro about a month ago, but will be selling it due to the fact I already have hondas in my fleet, spare/extra parts on my shelves, & a good relationship with my dealer.
  16. KEC Maintaince

from N.J.

The toros have held up just fine no problems. im sure the honda will be just as good. i trhink the honda are a bit more money tho.
    i put both blowers on a carry all on the back of the truck with a milk crate in the middle to carry fuel and i strap them down then i dungie the shovel to the blowers, i have a tonnue cover on the bed so when i put the calcium and rock salt it stays dry also aids in traction.
  17. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

We don't use single stage blowers much but we have a few of the Toro Power max 1128 2 stage models and I am very pleased. They are maneuverable, don't clog up, and are 100 lbs lighter than an equivalent Ariens. The snow doesn't stick to the plastic shoot and we have had no issues with the joy stick breaking or freezing up.
  18. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

toro hands down
  19. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

I have 3 toro 7hp single stage machines. Light portable easily lifted and the 7hp engine goes through anything
  20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Whats the best model you guys use, i have a single stage huskee for walks but its complete garbage. we usually use the snow pusher with the wheels for lighter snows and shovel the heavier ones, but i might have a bunch of walks this year and was looking into toro.