1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single stage blowers freezing up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lynden-Jeff, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have just purchased my first Toro power clear 221R for some condos we do. I was borrowing a few blowers from the guy I sub for however his always froze up after a little while, the next day they would be fine, but always half way through the storm they would be botched. What causes this? Any way to prevent it? His were ariens but apparently the toros do it to.

2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

What do you mean they freeze up?Explain more.They won't start? Ice clogging auger? I am puzzled.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Won't start, something to do with the carb/venturi freezes up.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

are you sure its not the vented gas cap freezing up? if the vent freezes shut the engine eventually gets starved of gas.
  5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Single-stage 2-cycle blowers have a tendancy to develop moisture in the carburetor and fuel caps freezing up. Spray the outside of the fuel cap with FF or HEAT to take care of the moisture. Also, these units should have the fuel systems cleaned, drained and dried at least once a year. They will get a few drops of H2O in the float bowl. It is almost unavoidable.
  6. karol

karol Senior Member

I've had the same problem. I started using a fuel conditioner with anti-freeze. I can't remember the name but the anti-freeze that i use prevent's water build-up in the gas. So look for that. My toro starts no problem. 2nd pull.
  7. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

One of the only things you can do with lets say lower than -15 is leave it run constantly from job to job.

They don't have an air filter so the gobble up snow and bam, turns into water...yadi yada...

THAT's the skinny on it, got it from a mechanic. Keep her running!