1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single stage blowers and going up steps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dustball, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Hello all,

This winter I am handling 15 urban houses (typical sidewalks, steps and small driveways). Most of these houses have several steps leading up from the sidewalk. I'm looking at buying a single stage to handle the lighter snows. Every model I've looked at seemed to have too many low hanging exposed parts. Has anyone had any problems damaging the engine and parts from pulling the blowers backwards up steps?

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I have 3 honda hs520's and love them. Their 4 stroke, leight weight, but have tons of power. Oh, and its a honda.

3. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

how about a Toro Powerlite?

[​IMG]

they are so light you can just carry it up the stairs like nothing.

4. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have a 19" and two 22" Single Stage Simplicity's and love all of them very easy to move around and dont have to carry ramps.

5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I'm not asking for what snow blower is good. I'm asking if anyone has had any issues with exposed parts being damaged from pulling them backwards up steps?

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i havent but my shoveler is carefull when doing it . if he breaks the blower i have a shovel with his name on it

JR

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We blow stairs off with these and drag them all over. You would have to be very rough to wreck one.

8. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

I'm not asking for what snow blower is good. I'm asking if anyone has had any issues with exposed parts being damaged from pulling them backwards up steps?

Love my new 221QR Toro!
    Pulls backwards up steps just fine...... just use common sense.

9. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Tough little machine!

We drag and beat the heck out of our Powerlite ccr. It just keeps on running! Good on stairs too!
    JS

10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Haven't had any issues pulling our Toro up stairs backwards.

11. sam c

sam c Member

Hey Dustball,
    I've had my CCR2450 for 6 years, I use it a lot, have gone through 5 sets of paddles and scrapers! Have yet to break it, but I have managed to force snow up into the carb by pulling it backwards through snow, a couple of times. Didn't damage anything, just stalls, blow it out and restart. I also managed to break off (shorten) the choke lever.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  12. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Update- I ended up getting an Ariens 522. The whole lower back side is protected with a plastic housing/skid and it easily slides backwards up steps.