1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Stage Blower vs Two Stage?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thepawnshop, Jan 17, 2005.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop Junior Member

I live in Roanoke, VA and am considering buying a Toro 2 - stage, but I am concerned that the 2 stage may be overkill for this area. Our snowfalls are typically between 2-12 inches. I will be clearing two commercial parking lots (smaller in size...one holds 12 cars and the other twenty) and my own 100' x 10' driveway.

The two stage I am considering is the Toro 1028LXE and the single stage is the Toro Snow Commander 38600/38602.

I have heard that the single stages were not as good, and I have always been a "bigger is better" kind of guy, but I'm not sure this applies in this situation.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you are clearing that size of a lot go with a 2 stage. you will end up re blowing the snow 2 or 3 times with a single stage. i use a single stage (Toro 3650) but only do side walks with it and it works fine. it can go through 12" drifts but you are working it.
    If you do a search you will find alot of info covering this same question. sometimes you might just need to word it different to get good results.

3. thepawnshop

Thanks, Super...didn't mean to repeat questions...that can be a real pain in the ...

4. rgjlawn

rgjlawn Member

Honda928 track you get what you pay for.

5. thepawnshop

Im sure the 928 is a VERY good machine, but I can't find any deals...I can get the Toro for about $600 less. Do you know where to get any deals on Honda's?

6. rgjlawn

rgjlawn Member

no deals, honda is not building anymore units this year. Toro is all plastic, junk in imo, honda starts on 1 or 2 pulls. :rolleyes:

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a single stage MTD that starts on the 1st pull every time. I only use it for sidewalks though. That big of an area, I'd go with a 2 stage. The only problem I have with a 2 stage is, you can't armstrong it by yourself into and out of the bed of the truck, what with the salt I haul, I don't have room for a big 2 stage and a set of ramps, only other option is to haul a trailer, No Thanks!!!
    Contrary to the popular opinion that always seems to come up on here, bigger more expensive is not always better, and money is a concern for some people. I'm sure I could find a gold plated plow and pay through the nose for it, but is it really necessary? I could probably find someone to build me a 20' plow, but do I really need it? and because I don't have a 20' plow does that mean that my 7.5' is junk???
    I reallly don't think that a Toro anything is junk. I've had my MTD which is way less expensive for about 6 years, and it works just fine. One of the Churches that I do, has a Honda blower, single stage, and I'm not at all impressed with it. It has a chute handle that is always in the way when doing next to a building.
    Find what you like, what you can afford, and a close place to have it serviced if you don't do that kind of stuff yourself, take care of it and everything will be fine. I've found that not to many reputable places sell junk of any kind. Some stuff, does more stuff, easier ways, stays down longer, dives deeper, and comes up dryer. It's all in what you want to pay for something, and what you expect it to do.

8. thepawnshop

I agree with the transport concerns, but I did find a small carrier that attaches to your reese hitch and has a ramp on it made expressly for self propelled items. I lost the link. If any of you have a link for a good carrier for one of the two stage monsters, I would appreciate it!

9. thepawnshop

Check this carrier out:

This will solve the problem of hoisting a heavy two-stage snow thrower in the back of a truck...just drive it on!

Snow Thrower Carrier

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  10. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Not sure if your suggesting for business use...but if you are I'm not sure if it is the solve all. IMO it would cause more problems then what it was worth. Try plowing with an extra four or five feet extended to the back of your truck. Your bound to bend and break that in seconds. Although the original poster seems as if he is snow throwing only...

I thought about using one the hunters use for the deer/game they get. Goes into a standard 2" receiver. It is a lot slimmer and folds up when not in use. Can hold a few hundred pounds if I remember correctly. That one might work a little better if your looking to take the maching with you to the jobsite with a plow on the truck. Just get to the jobsite and get her down with much smaller ramps. Be even easier if there was a raised sidewalk (i.e. curb) there.

Another problem I see with it is protecting the blower. You'd be traveling roadways that have nothing but salt and sand on them. Everything would be splattering up on it...not sure if the blower can stand that kind of beating. guess you could tarp it????

11. thepawnshop

this one folds up as well.

Here is a link for the ramp solution that makes alot of sense: easy, adds length to the bed AND keeps road grime off of your machine:

Tailgate Ramp

I REALLY want a two stage, but I am seriously contemplating trying either a Toro Commandr or a 3650 for a season and see if it will fit the bill. At half the cost, it may be the wy to go. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

12. trying to make

trying to make Member

I know what I would do.Heres my .02 cents worth.You sound like you have your mind made up you want a two stage blower,can afford a one stage.If you get the one stage blower you will always say to yourself d--n I should have waited.Even if its doing pretty good you are not going to be satisfied.Human nature.You also don't want to wait do you, so what to do. As I said I know what I would do.But who am I to tell you what to do. Good luck

13. thepawnshop

Trying, I didn't quite understand what you would do...

For the record, I want a two stage, can afford a high end two stage but think in this part of VA, a single stage may be my best bet. For the money, it will be easier to upgrade than downgrade...meaning, if I buy a blower that is too small, I will know it VERY quickly. If I bought an oversize blower, I would never know if a smaller one would have fit the bill. Add that to all of the incredible reviews that the Toro 3650 gets, and I may be able to get by for less.

I'm still open to what you would do, though.

Thanks!

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Sorry, yes that folds.

FYI, I bought the 3650 this year. Only had two occasions to try it out in powdery less than an inch conditions. Worked well. Was impressed with how it cleaned to the bare sidewalk. It's fairly lightweight. I can get it in and out of the pickup (3/4 Ton, a little higher than the 1/2 ton pickups) fairly easily. Little strain on the back, moreso for the awkwardness of the thing. I thing having a handle mounted between the arm extensiona will help a great deal.