1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Stage 2 Cycle Snow Thrower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Feb 26, 2008.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm starting to shop now for a single stage,2 cycle snow thrower for next year,with the Toro CCR 3650 discontinued,what are my options?I know Toro makes a CCR 2450 and a few other ones,221 and 221Q how do they compare/What about Ariens and Simplicity?I have a Simplicity 2 stage and find i don't use it that much because of the time it takes to take it out and in the truck.What are the limitations of a single stage?thanks for any help.

2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I've been using a Husqvarna single stage 2 stroke and have had good service from it. This unit has a Tecumseh engine, is ruggedly built and fairly light weight. They are a little pricey, but worth the $$$$. As far as limitations, single stage units won't throw snow as far, but they generally are a little faster.
    Just my .02

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i have to toro single stages and ya know what i am suprised at what these things will throw. throw better then some of the 2 stages i have seen. today i pull one off to cut a pile out of the drive way and it ate right threw it and blew it like 15feet.

4. jblankster

jblankster Junior Member

first time post. long time here. just never needed to sign up. but i will say, right now im just doing some small stuff untill i get a plow for my wrangler, i use a toro 2 cycle single stage. and i absolutly LOVE it. i forgot the name, but i will get that in a bit. i also have a huge ass 2 stage, and it dosent perform as well as my single.

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I bought a used Snapper single stage. It is a 3 hp 17" and it has suprised me as well. I most I have done with it is about 5" of wet heavy snow and it does it really well. I would say that 99% of the time it can take it as fast as I can walk without bogging down, and I walk real fast when I'm in work mode!

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

ariens 722 hands down the best blower iv used it will throw anything

7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

For small storms you can't beat the little single stage 2 strokes. I have a 3.25hp toro and use it when ever I can. I have a 11hp two stage and unless the snow is deep or wet and heavy I use the Toro

8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Ariens? POS...

nuff said.

Toro all the way. ALL THE WAY. Nothing performs like the toro single stage...nothing. Ariens, they make great door stops.!!!

:)

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Also check out the Lawnboy 3305. It's a Toro 3650 painted green and a ton cheaper. One of the best deals out there.

10. jblankster

jblankster Junior Member

heres my toro :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its amazing! goes through everything

11. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

sorry, the new ariens are actually very nice. I've used the toro's in the past. I have an ariens 522 and that thing will throw snow better than any toro I've used or seen. But it's also a matter or opinion.

To the original poster, look to see what is in your area and everybody is using.

12. jblankster

jblankster Junior Member

^^i gotta 552 also its really nice