1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Speed Volvo 110B

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by branr1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. branr1

branr1 Member

I already own this Skid Steer and I'm happy with it but do to it only being a single speed is it worth to plow with it? I'm thinking about a 10 or 12 foot Arctic Sectional plow but I don't know if its worth the expense do to the single speed of my skid steer.

Would I be better off buying another plow truck?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

both skidsteers we use are single speed, and i have no problems, the only time the dual speed really comes into play is in parking lots where you have long open pushes, A lot of our snow contracts are smaller tight areas so the single speed is fine, and a two speed offers no advantage IMO

3. branr1

branr1 Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm super happy with my Volvo i just wish it was a two speed, its got a heated cab and pilot controls both of which I love. I'm just a little worried about spending another 5-8 grand on a new plow for it and not being happy. I think it should be able to push more snow then a truck in a single pass but it may be to slow. Any other opinions out there?

4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I would never plow with a single speed again. If you have properties that have long runs you will definitely notice a difference in production. Two speed is the way to go. IMO

5. branr1

branr1 Member

I agree but I already own this machine and I guess my question is would it be profitable to use it for plowing? I'd have to spend 5-8 grand for a Pusher Box but with that same money I could purchase another used truck with a plow. Thats the dilemma I'm faced with.

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

It all depends on what you plow. In tight lots I rarely use high speed, but in the big lots I plow I am shifting all the time. If I was going to plow with a sing speed it would defiantly have a large box on it and not a plow. Have you considered trading up for a 2speed machine? Just a Idea.
    Robert

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Wether or not you must have a two speed to make the pusher worth while can really only be determined by what you are plowing. Parking lots vs. long drives/ roads. Heavy wet snow vs. light & fluffy. I'm not familiar (at all) with the Volvo line up. How much does the 110 weigh, and how many HP? I am asuming that it's one of the larger units (8k# & 85HP). I would think a 10' pusher would push a lot more than an 8' plow. Parking lots would be better for the skid and the truck would be better for subdivision roads and long driveways. The fact that you are only going 7 MPH will definately hurt production. But how good of truck (with plow) can you get for $5k? Strike that. You won't get an Arctic to Alaska for $5k. But you get the point. Another thing to consider is that the skid steer can remove snow with the bucket (and no additional investment). If you have enough people to run both than you will most likely be more productive with a plow truck and a skid (with just the bucket) than you would be with a just the skid (equiped with a pusher). You may be able to push as much, or more with the pusher (than the skid/truck combo mentioned before) but you will be able to man two jobs, at one time, instead of one. BTW, I almost never plow with my skid in low speed, even in the small lots.

8. branr1

branr1 Member

My Volvo weighs in at almost 7,800 pounds and has 83HP. I'm really happy with it. My local Volvo dealer is also the Arctic Plow Dealer and he has a 10 foot Sectional in stock and he wants $7400.00 for it.
    I'm still torn as to whether or not this would be a good idea.