1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single or two stage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike Paulsen, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen Junior Member

Like to talk about the fastest snow blower to get the job done. I don't want to get in a pissing match like the one about 2wd for plowing but blowers work best for the work that my customer want( no pack down from back blade and not a big pile of snow in the front yard). Right now I use a 9hp 28" and we ave. about 16 ( 20 by 45 ) driveways with two people. It takes the blower 5 trips up and back for one drive. Now if you get into the 33" blower you cut it to 4 time and with the 45" for mtd, yardman, cub cadet 3 times. I don't see how a single stage blower can make great time unless you are running behind the thing? Open for ideas though
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Single stage blowers are great, when used with regular snow removel opperations, ie plows.

I have 2 "shovel crews"

The crew with the power lift gate on the truck has the 2 stage blowers for obvious reasons. The truck with out the power lift gate has single stage blowers.

Single stage are light, and quick to turn around. For doing walks, and small areas that the plows can't get they are quick if not quicker then the two stage.

The crew with the single stage blowers can have all there blowers out of the truck before the other crew has 2 out, Because they weigh less than 80 lbs and 2 guys can easily move them.

If you are blowing big areas, then yes the 2 stage would be a better choice.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Of course with a plow you make one pass, and onto the next drive. I dont see how anyone can make money snow blowing all those drives.HAHAHAHAHAHA
  4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

BAd Bad Boy there Dino. LOL
    Gonna start calling you the "Instigator"
    Just remember if you plow and snow blow the blower always takes a back seat in the truck. Unless you have one of those monsters that hook on in place of a plow.

5. casey

casey Banned

That's exactly how I laugh when we pull up to 10 drives- side by each- half of which we contracted from customers who complained their plow guy was too expensive, damaged the turf, or refused to work around cars or do walks. An hour later, when we are pulling away I ponder how a puny single stage blower can make more money per hour than a good lawyer....Ah maybe it's the no drive time.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Hmm... How I plow Drives. Hop in truck, drive to area, drop plow push snow, lift plow before so I cause no damage to turf. Back out, next drive. same thing.
    No need to waste my time arround cars or sidewalks.
    Most people arround here dont want thier walks done and most everyone parks in thier garage.
    I stay warm, finsh most drives in under 5 mins, charge more becasue a single stage blower cant handle some of the snow we get & 2 stage would take at least 30 mins a drive. Worst comes to worst I'll have to find a loader to rent, in the evet of a major storm....
    Yes we can and do get 25+ inches at times, or blizzards of 20 ft. Yeah the blizzard was a record, but it can happen and the only thing a small blower could do is dig a tunnel, at least I could make room for a car to park.
  7. casey

casey Banned

If it takes you 6 min. to drive to your next contract then I just made $30.
    Our 2 stages can clear the big stuff as fast as the singles when things get rough...which is rare.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

And how long does it take you to load or unload a blower and drive to the sites. Even to move a blower from one drive to the next . I know I could pass even the fastest blower driving down the road without even leaving first gear in my truck.
    I welcome you to come out and take one of my routes and when you are not finished in 6 hours and the customers start calling I will give them to you. After 36 hours when you are still playing with you blowers in 1000ft+ driveways I will have to come help you out.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Casey and Mike I will say this once and listen carefully.
    It may do it with more precision, and cleaner, but no way fatser. A truck mounted plow will be driving to the next driveway before you have the ramps out to unload your blower.
    I am not saying there isnt a market for what you do, its just not the market many want to be in. I will take the easy to please customers, over the demanding PITA ones any day. You can have them. The reason they change every year is that no one can please them, good luck. And while you and your crew are freezing their butts off, I will sipping my coffee in a warm cab.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think this site is called PLOWSITE for a reason. Snowblowers arre sold to homeowners. Plows are sold to professionals. Yes I use blowers for walks and such but not to make money. Plowing and sanding is how you make money. Shoveling and Blowing walks and other areas is customer relations.

This is why people who own snoeblowers call me to plow their drive. They are tired of freezing. So I plow the drive and they still get to use the blower up nesr the garage and on their walk.
  11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Even if you guys think your blowers can come close to being as efficient as a plow, that sipping hot coffee & warm truck (along with dry hands& feet) is hard to beat.

12. casey

casey Banned

Please give me your average take per snowfall to convince me. If you are running seasonal contracts then an average per fall will do.
    Yes a blower does it with more precision, and cleaner, and faster. In my market you would not get away with a sloppy one pass on the drive. All the plow trucks have a shovel or blower man, many have 2, to clean the edges, or work around cars.
    As far as ramps to unload we use a trailer.
    If this site is truly for professionals I vote the name be changed to Snowmanagementsite.com.
  13. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

When I was at the airport yesterday, they had a snowblower.
    (Truck mounted 450hp 6x6)

These guys use snowblowers and they're professionals.

This snowblower was not your typical "homeowner" model.

I "think" this snowblower COULD "possibly" move more snow than your typical pick-up.

I don't think snowBLOWER or snowPLOW is the differenciation between Professional and Wannabe.
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Take it in the context of my paragraph. I agree that snowblower could move snow. I still doubt that it could be used effectively at the speeds a plow can.

I am a professional I own four plows & two blowers. I was simply stating that the idea of a snowblower is to clear one area. Not to travel from area to area clearing. Yes we do put them in a truck and move them. However, they are no where near as quick as a plow. Here in New England plowing must be done quickly and neatly. I will agree a blower will leave a neat edge. It is not quick. A good plower will have minimal damge to turf and turf will regrow. I doubt every person in Toronto will wait or require such service. If this was true the whole town would be shut down and there would be no plowers in Toronto. I know we have plowing members from Toronto on here.

I did not mean to insult anyone. I started in snow removal by using a snowblower on a few neighborhood accounts. Then when I turned 16 I moved up to a truck with a plow and took on more accounts. Others have done the same. If you need to operate that way then that is your choice. I welcome your and everyones opinion on this site. I think you need to remember that there are many very experienced people on this site and to argue with us on things that we have years of experience is kind of futile in my opinion. This site is about learning. When 90% of the people say an idea may not work or there may be a better way I think it deserves some thought.
  15. casey

casey Banned

I am still interested in your average take per snowfall doing residentials with a plow. If they are seasonal prepays then work out an average based on the average snowfalls in you area. Or an average hourly would suffice. I believe I provided you with some of our figures in a previous thread.
  16. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen Junior Member

wow , finally got a post with more than one reply

I knew you plow guys couldn't leave this thread alone. Read a lot of pissing and not to much talk about the lead post. DINO my hearing is just fine and I didn't ever say that a blower was faster than a plow. I was wanting to know about blowers. I know my own market and I'm sure you know yours. Being able to average 16 ( 20 by 45) driveways,with two people, an hour works for me right now. I'm sure on bigger drives you would walk away from me. FIREMAN just because I run snowblower doesn't me that I'm not a professional.A good bussiness man finds his own nich. I agree that there is alot of people with good ideas and alot more experience than me, that is why I'm here to suck your brain but just because 90% think one way doen't mean it is always right . Or maybe the earth is flat.
  17. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

OK Mike here's my take on answering your original posted intent. The unit which would be "fastest" IMO would be determined entirely by depth and moisture content of the particular snowfall. Single stage are easier to maneuver in shallower and drier snow, but when the snow reaches a certain point and/or mixture then the efficiency would fall off and they would defer to the two stage which IMO would handle the deeper wetter stuff better.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I never said that you were not a professional. I simply stated that snowblowers for the most part are marketed to homeowners who want to clear their own drive. Then when they see that they have to stay outside for an hoiur to do the average drive (where I am) they realize it is easier to pay a plower.

I am a prfoessional and I own snowblowers and use them. In the long run though I make money plowing. I charge for doing walks and snowblowing but the profit is not as great as it is for plowing in my area. My trucks make upwards of $200 an hour on planned routes. I don't know anyone with a snowblower and a trailer that could make this. When I snoblowed starting out I had 8 driveways that would take over three hours to do. Charging roughly the same amount as a plower I could not make as much. This is why I got a plow as soon as I could.
  19. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

How about a blower on a zero turn rider with a cab, like a walker or grass hopper? Still not as fast as plow on a truck
  20. casey

casey Banned

Is it crude to discuss figures? I am curious for those doing residential drives with a plow on how many you do per snowfall & what your rates are.

Yes I know I qouted myself but was wondering about the answer.