1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single or Dual stage?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Dec 4, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Thanks guys for your help. Now I'm not so sure about which kind of thrower to invest in; single or dual stage. I'm thinking most snows here in Indy will be less than a foot, so would a single stage get 3-12 inches thrown just as fast as a dual stage? What do u do if all u have is a single stage and u have an accumulation on a driveway over a foot? do u have to just shovel it or do it in layers somehow? I've never used one as u probably can tell. And is Toro the most reliable brand? If u guys had say $800 to spend on a thrower, would it be some sort of dual stage or single?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

is this for personal use or commercial?

you can not snow blow "stages" or lifts, meaning raise the height then go back and lower it.

a single stage has many nice features and a dual stage has some advantages/disadvantages.

Single stage: oil/gas mix so they start in colder weather, have rubber paddles that scrape clean to the pavement or pavers (by lifting slightly up on the handle your pushing the paddles into the ground which in-turn pulls the unit forward), are lighter weight and when blowing less than 3" of snow really haul butt. However, they tend to have lower power and can't throw the really wet stuff very far.

Dual stage: because they don't scrape the ground you can snowblow a path for your dog or out to the shed in your yard. come in wider widths can be very powerful, are self propelled, more expensive models have built-in hand warmers, real easy to change the shoot direction, powered reverse. Downside are they can be way more expensive, are heavier and if your not very sure with yourself, you'll snowblow right over that landscape light or into your car.

Just saw a new Toro 21" single stage for around $600-$650 that looks really nice, (i have one, just 4 years old)
  3. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Single stage for most of the snowfalls has been working out great Toro 3650 6.5hp forget the width. Great up to about 6" or so deeper than that we go back to the 2 stage units.
    3650 is light enought to flip in & out of trucks 2 stage units takes 2 people to lift in and out or ramps ect.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

dual will take that wet heavy stuff and throw it i like with the tracks goes up the ramp good