1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single battery?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kylejohn, Aug 29, 2009.

1. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

If im only plowing a couple driveways, is it safe to use one battery for everything?
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

My gasser only has 1 battery, so I don't see why not.
  3. kylejohn

kylejohn Junior Member
    from Ontario

Whats a gasser? So I should go out and get a real good battery, any sugestions on a brand?

thanks man
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not a diesel

Any quality properly sized battery should do, I use Interstate FWIW.
  5. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

With 1 battery, your going to notice that your lights dim when you move the plow. But once you let go of the controller the volt meter will jump back up to normal. I have 2 batteries in my truck because I have the plow, sander, lights, gps, and defroster going. So I didn't want it to drain the battery down too much.

I got the "Gold" batteries from Autozone. I can't remember the brand name for the life of me. But they haven't lost their charge or anything, I have had them for about 2 years now. Like Crete said, any good quality & properly size battery will be good. Good luck!!
  6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Duralast is their brand
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have only ever used 1 battery in any vehicle to plow snow.
    Keep the battery well maintained and you will be fine.
  8. PremierSnow

PremierSnow Junior Member

I have used a 1 battery setup in my half ton dodge for years.
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

My gas truck has 1 red top optima, diesel trucks have 2 yellow top optimas. They cost twice as much as a normal battery, but they will never leak acid and they last twice as long. check them out.
  10. for a couple drives can't see a porblem as already stated pretty safe bet. put the biggest battery you can fit of a name brand at worst you'll benefit from a little more starting umph when its real cold out!! ps if you start doing more or having issues a dual battery set up will do more for you the cranking up your altenator do a search someones probably added a second battery to your kind of truck and the hows and why's of it have been beat to death.

PS GASSER generally is someone refering to a gasoline engine vehicle
    OIL BURNER is usually refering to a diesel engine vehicle