1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single back up light?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Oct 6, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Has anyone tried the light you plug into the 7 pin round connector on your wire harness? Wondering if it is bright enough to help. It says its a spot light with 20ft light radius and goes on when your reverse lights do.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I forget what it's called.....night buster or something like that? do a search on here for the name and you'll find your answer! :)
  3. nhglock17

nhglock17 Member
    from nh

Light Buster Trailer Hitch Accessory Light

I have one wife bought it for me last winter used it a few times works ok,not sure how long it will last as its plastic ect. David

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Gotta be better than the stock back up lights!

I just ordered one from Cabela's and a set of brite led back up lights from ebay.
    I'll post about how effective they are when I get 'em. Ultimately, I'll have something permanently mounted (like those tractor spots under the bumper, but I'm hoping this will be adequate to start out with. Also got a nice (I think) amber strobe for the roof coming from ebay as well...now all we need is snow! ( the weather is becoming gradually more seasonal-like...damn hot weather in Oct...you can keep it! )
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

let me know what you think of those LED backup lights. I used to always put 50 watt driving light bulbs in my old trucks, but they drew a lot of power and I haven't found anything for the newer style bulbs (3157 I think)
    I have rectangular rubber trapezoidal tractor lights under the bumper, absolutely love them, can't break them and they spread the light nice and wide. I'd like to upgrade the truck bulbs without drawing any more current through the wiring. However, I have also thought about putting another set of lights on the frame in front of the rear wheels. Probably be way too many lights for that circuit.
    I don't know if lights in front of the rear wheels would help or be more distracting. I have a dually so it's an extra wide fender to see past.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

My f250 has the 3156 bulbs...

I will post on the effectivness of the led bulbs..gotta be better than stockers!!
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a single 55 watt light that is mounted to my spreader that I wired a 7 pin plug to and just plug it into my trailer harnes. That gets me tons of light when the truck is in reverse.
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

From what I have read on other sites the led's are not cutting it. I use PIAA super white bulbs and they are a little better but nothing like aux lights under the bumper IMO.
  9. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I have a set of 50w offroad lights I mounted one on each side of my hitch frame. They work great, I wired them off the battery with a relay wired to my backup lights so they kick on when I throw it in reverse.

That in combo with my back up camera works sweeeeeeeet!
  10. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have any pictures of this? Does the light stay on all the time? If you want to PM that is fine. I am very interesting in how you have this set and wired. Ihave been trying to think of something to do for this year and this is something that I was trying to figure out how to do.

Thank you,

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search for "white night" on google.

You can get them at Ebay or Sears as well for around $90.

I wouldn't be without them, they're wonderful.

Got one set that'll be 3 years old this year, the second truck had one for the first year last year.
  12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I will have to dig my spreader out..... The light only comes on in reverse, I think it is the bottom left side contact (as you look at the plug on the truck) in a 7 wire connector that gets power when the vehicle is in reverse. Then of course I ran the other wire to the ground in the plug

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Got mine and tried it last night...

The Night Buster 55w light that plugs into the 7 way was tested last night. It definitely has a nice glow and adds a lot to the night vision in reverse. I found that the view from the driver's side mirror is vastly better than the pass. side mirror (just the nature of the beast). I'm sure that when everything is white with snow the view will be better still...a nice improvement for $25 and also usable as a work light by simply twisting the unit while in place. Very rugged looking and feeling...well made product. I like it but as time goes on will probably upgrade to a set of reverse spots to REALLY light up the night.
    Also, I'd like to add that I received my new roof emergency mini light bar and tested that last night too. It's great...really looks awesome and definitely all I'll need to know I'll be seen while plowing. It's made by a company called ECCO (Blaze) and it has huge suction/vaccuum cups as well as strong magnets on the base. It is rated for up to 65 mph safely, but when I plow I won't be going NEAR that speed. Comes with a 17 ft fused cord that plugs into the power outlet. I may add a switch to the wire so I can shut it off if needed.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  14. Young Pup

Thanks for the information.
  15. Young Pup

Has anybody wired these to be on all the time while out working? When dropping salt I am normally going forward and not in reverse.
  16. LwnmwrMan22

There's aswitch on them, either off all the time, only on when backing up, or on all the time.

This way you can use them as a work light as well.

Get the version that has the metal piece to go into the trailer hitch.

I cannot get the ones that slip over the receiver hitch to fit properly.
  17. Young Pup

Could be an issue, I have the hitch mounted salt spreader. But I can figure something out. I will run by Sears and see if they have any.

Thank you for the information.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. LwnmwrMan22

I should have clarified more.....

Sears stores do not carry them, you can only get them online.

The hitch will fit through the hole, but the hole for the pin will be off, as I couldn't get my hitch in far enough then, since the hitch is solid metal all the way through.

I just didn't want to drill a new hole and make my hitch to pull the 10k trailer weaker. To do it to put your spreader on, you should be just fine.
  19. Young Pup

Thank you. I am on the white night website as I type this looking at the setups.
  20. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I bolted a tractor light on my sander on the drivers side facing down. I put a 4 pin connector on it so I could plug it into my trailer plug with a 4 to 7 pin adaptor. When I am sanding at night I plug it in and it's wired to the parking lights, so it stays on all the time. Don't need the light in the daytime, and I don't mind running down the road with it on at night since it's facing down and not blinding anyone. Gives me all the light I need to see the application of mix hitting the ground, and it's extra light for backing up. Was going to wire up an on-off switch, but it just isn't necessary. If I really want to shut it off for the ride home I can get out and unplug it. I thought I'd put amber warning lights on the tailgate sander itself, but if it's dark and the light is on people can see it on the back of the truck. I have some little slim 18" LED strips mounted between the tailgate and the bumper, to keep people back. Sander kind of blocks them, but like I said the spot light is visible.