1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single Axle who uses a 4X4?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cincy snowdog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

I have a couple single axles and we are buying a new one and trading in or selling one.my question is ,is anyone running an "all wheel "or "four wheel" drive single axle.does it get you around alot better (enough to justify cost?). we have alot of hills here and loaded your ok but when empty on way back to load up it's a treat. does the gearing drop down?(travel speed) high maintainance?lockouts on axle or full time?have been at navistar a few times but wasnt looking at four wheel,so i am not sure of price difference til tues. thanks
  2. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

we've had a few where i work over the years, we just traded a INT 4900 4x4 in for a 2 wd,

i drove it for the last 5 or so years and never really needed to use the all wheel drive only but a few times and it seemed like it was in the shop either during or after every storm for one thing or another

the replacement cost to get a new one was just to much to have something you only needed a few times a year
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

on my small single axle, my 550 the 4wd was broken and I never need it. The only place I get stuck is my damn house :(

The 5500 GMC however, the 4wd broke and we had to fix it the next day.

They both have bad tires. That said, a 6500 with good tires never has traction control.

I really think it depends on the truck and driver

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

When I ordered my 02' FL70 I think it would have been an extra $11,000 if memory serves me correctly. It wasn't worth it to me, but I did get an air locker.
  5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

ours are all 4wd. usually dont need it durring the winter. but b/c they are used for construction its nice to have when your trying to pull loaded trailers on and off job sites. wether it be excavtors or backhoes the 4wd has kept us from getting stuck many times.

but for just plowin and hauling dirt and sand on road idk why you would spend the money for 4wd.

hell if u need better traction you can throw cains on them anyway.
  6. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

it's not only for the winter,we tear out concrete in summer so we are always somewhere off road to dump. our one chevy will get stuck on a wet paper bag, theres always that one spot. the international is decent but still has its bad spots, i am so tired off the chain deal,i got single and double chains ,the tools ,links and all,i just was tossing the ideal around to make the trucks alittle more aggressive without the chain deal,on-spot chains suck been there before.so that's out of the question.