1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single axle plow confusion???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bossplowguy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Ok, I bought a old single axle IH..an old county truck. It came with a 11' wausau blade, the truck obviously has central hydraulics, hook up for a salter..etc etc. I am going to have to cut some off the blade (to make it 102" when angled) because mr dot cop in the area has a woody for plow trucks. I can buy a 10' boss vee off a guy somewhat cheap...it's gonna need paint, and I am going to have to do trimming on that too. I guess I just feel that the wausau blade is kind of overkill for doing lots. What do you guys think??
  2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it's not the 11' that is overkill it's the truck!

if i was going to operate a big PITA too see out of rig like that i'd have the biggest blade i could find

i wouldn,t worrie too much about the D.O.T. thell ***** about anything.....but i doubt theyll have a prob with a blade

BTW: why do you have a DOT man just for youre town...... there are DOT officials and then there are county/city cops and neither hardley bother with the other's job
  3. bossplowguy

well 1st off a guy I know bought a brand new 10' vee, used it for 5 hours and got pulled over by the dot, made him cut off 5" of it so it was legal width going down the road 102". I don't know about there but here there is 2 dot cops that float around...the one loves plow trucks. I live in wisconsin but 99% of my plowing is in Iowa, and a mile from my house in WI is a scale....so very dot happy around here. And the big truck is for the larger lots we have. I would rather just play by the rules instead of paying a high ticket for something i knew was illegal in the first place.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

never heard of such a problem around here.....the dot boys come into town to eat and misc, but they really have no authority on city streets from what i have heard....as for the city cops here, they typically tip their hat to any snow plower that is out working... i run a 10' meyer with 20" wings and have never had a problem......if i were you i would have a decal made for your doors that RESEMBLES your city badges and the DOT should leave you alone. good luck with the truck, pm me sometime and let me know how you like it vs. using a diesel pickup with a 9 footer.....we have a f800 ford salter that is plummed in front but thought is was too big to ever plow lots....
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would keep the blade and get a wide load permit for the truck. Then the DOT cop can pull you over all he wants. IF you're legal there is nothing he can do.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

He would only of had to cut off 2", a 10' V is 104" at full angle. Or drive around in the scoop it's 102". Sounds like the DOT boy's are way to bored, in MN you can get a permit for over width plows but you have to get one for every county you would drive through. I went through this with my Freight wanted an 11'r but didn't want to deal with the bs or possible ticket.
  7. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I've heard of snow plates or something liek that. Asn with farm pates, you can drive soemthing not quite legal when necessary. if it's snowing, you can rock the blade.
  8. bossplowguy

yah they are definatly bored...you would think they would have some compassion for the people out trying to push snow. But no such luck, if I get lucky hopefully this guy will transfer or something and it will all be good. And the reason he cut 5" off is so he could drive around with the blade v ed...I would have only cut 2" off myself.