1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single axle flat bed / dump pics.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by P.L., Dec 30, 2010.

1. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

During the snow storm over the weekend I slid into a tree and wrecked my bumper and the left side of the bed on my 99' f350. Now I have to decide weather I put a new be on it or convert it to a flat bed dump. Part of my decision is based on how much money I get from insurance and the other is based on my likes and dislikes. I like the look of my truck with a regular bed and would much prefer to drive it around that way. However a flat bed dump seems like it would be much more useful and a lot More rugged for working out of. This is not the only time I have damaged this bed and I am kind of leaning towards the flat bed even though I don't like the look as much. The truck is a 99' and as clean as I try to keep it, it's still a work truck and can't stay new forever. Please post any picks you have of your single wheel, dump/flat bed set ups and all opinions are welcome. I'll post a pic of the truck before the tree and try and get one of after the tree later. Thanks for the help.

350sander.jpg

Plow trucks.jpg

2. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

well... In june we lost my bros house and our shop in the tornado... And my 09 Silverado 3500HD got totaled... So i bought it back, and rebuilt it... Its a single rear wheel flatbed now... I didnt get the hoist yet to save money, but intend on buying one when i need it...

Its my first flatbed... And I LOVE it!!! I will never want to plow in another pickup (regular bed) as long as i live... You can see so much easier, the possibilities are endless with them... They can also take a hell of a beating... When i still had a regular bed, it got all scratched and dented... And it sucked...

It wasnt to expensive either... about $1700 for it out the door (installed and everything)... So depending on insurance you could get a nice steel one, or maybe even aluminum....

Well heres my pic thread... And u can see lots of pics of the truck, and read about it...

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=112851

Feel free to ask me any questions via pm or in my thread...

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It converts to a flat bed when you remove the sides and tailgate. Still a SRW. I have 2 !
    Probably more than your insurance will give you for a box though.

tv april 8 2010 004.jpg

4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Aluminum trailer?? That dump bed is slick, probably the first one that is decent looking that I have seen in awhile

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I want a flatbed so bad. I love flatbeds. I have a V-box spreader and when some spill over the sides. It will be so much easier to clean up and deal with if i had a flatbed. Plus i think they look badass.

6. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS Member

Check out EBY Aluminum beds. My friend has one on his 2500 cummins SRW and it is awesome. He got sides and a back made for it and you could also add a dump cylinder too. They are pricey but awesome!

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks I get lots of compliments on it. can't take all the credit for it though. www.eloquip.com

8. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

mr.markus that bed is sweet. I think I am leaning towards a flat bed dump even if I have to pay a little out of pocket. I don't like the idea of driving around in a "work" tuck all the time, but I do like the idea of actually being able to work out if it with out worrying about every little dent or scratch. I am going to plow the rest of the season the way it is and figure it out in the spring. I want to find the right body if I do decide to go flat bed.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i think flat beds are sweet. the possibilities are endless and it give off a real workhorse look

10. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

here's the flat bed i built for our f-250, the rear corners remove with 2 bolts, and you have a completely flat bed. also has blind mounts for our 5th wheel, so you can have a smooth deck if you need too.
    steps in the front corners, built into the braces, and the back rack extends right down to the bottom of the frame, so a quick stop with a 1 1/2yard excivator bucket won't ruin my day wesport

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's the photo bucket folder, if you want to see more

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq325/theonlybull/85%20f250/

11. lude1990

lude1990 Senior Member

Is that a diesel??? I have a 84 6.9 f250 3/4ton diesel 4speed.

[​IMG]

12. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

nope. 351W HO 4bbl with 76,000 km's ...... wouldn't mind having a diesel, but for the amount we use it, easier to stick with what we have spares for

nice little jag on that '84. i've been looking for a set of those rims for ours too

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

97 f-350

Flat beds are the way to go if you're going to use the truck for work. So many options for how you can set it up, plus you can have it outfitted for summer or winter work. You can get really fancy like a CM bed or just fab one your own to fit your needs.
    My 1st truck with a flat bed was a 77 F-250 HiBoy and I built the bed for it. This truck was great for every thing and was bummed out when a Elk decided to cross the hwy.
    This one had a Utility bed on it when I bought it but I knew that bed had to go. So I sold it on CL and found a flat bed on CL that needed some work on the tail end for $450.00. a couple hundreds bucks in steel and lights later I have what I think is a nice bed. All I have to say is you won't regret it and wonder why it took you sooo long to get one.
    Funny thing (at least to me) is the 77 was also so White too.

12-31-10 002.JPG

whitey 1.jpg

whitey 2.jpg

whitey 3.jpg

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

15. lude1990

lude1990 Senior Member

Yea I need to redo the tail end of my flatbed and redo part of the steel up front cause itstarting to rot away and fix the gas filler necks cause it takes about 15 min a tank to fill up cause no vent tubes.

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I got about 40hrs and about $200.00 total into it

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  18. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

buff does your bed have a gooseneck hideaway? tj what bed dump kit is that?

19. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Here are a couple pics of the truck after the tree. Thanks for sending all the pics. I really have not made up my mind yet but the pics are helping me see what I could have.

wrecked bed4.jpg

wrecked bed3.jpg

20. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

flatbed dooo it easier to see more space