1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Single axle dump tuck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RYDER, Nov 10, 2006.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I am looking at getting a single axle dump with a 10ft blade and salt spreader for parking lots. Should I get one with air brakes or hydraulics? 4X4 or 2X4?
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well 99% of them will have air brakes. And odds of finding a 26000lb truck or larger with 4x4 is slim. If you do find one, its going to be $$$$$$$$ 2wd is find for these big trucks.
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

The new ones are common with hdyraulics and even 4x4. Which isn't totally necesary.

The days of a choufeurs license are gone and you need to have an air endorsement to drive a truck with them. So buy wet brakes if you can.
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Do you have to go over 26k GVW to put a 10' blade on it? I was looking into doing the same thing, buy a dump, but I don't have a CDL.
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

get a GMC 6500 or a F-650 with Hydraulic brakes and a 10'. Those trucks would easily handle a 10' blade. 2 wheel drive is fine, just get a tailgate spreader and load the bed with salt.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Do you need as large a truck as that? Figure out how big a truck you need first- no need to run right up to the 26Klbs if you don;t need it.

Try checking an f550 class/GMC 5000 truck- they are more commonly hydraulic boosted brakes and easily available with 4x4 if you want it and fully capable of handling a 10 footer.
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I got a 10' blade on my F-350 dump. 9' Pro Plus with wings makes it 10' of bad @$$ plow. baby!!

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I have a Blizzard 8611LP on a F350 4x4 it goes up to 11 feet wide, I'll run circles around a 26K + dumptruck doing parking lots!!!
  9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I got a shovel!
    Wanna race? LOL
    Just kidding. You dont need a 26k or better dump to have a 10' blade. One ton dump, or dually, whatever. It will handle it.
  10. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Thanks for the input.:waving: