1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Since when did 1-3" equal 16.5"?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowin in VT, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

We got about 8" of snow yesterday, but @ 7pm they canceled the snow warning, and said we'd only get 1-3" overnight. Since I'd been up for 32 hours, I cleaned and heavily salted my lots, and went home to get some sleep. Woke up at 3am to do the few hours of cleanup that I'd have, went outside to let the dogs out, and snow was up to my knees! WTF????

I was lucky, I was still able to get my customers' lots opened up before 7am, but of course I got a call from a PITA board president of a 50 unit condo association who chewed me a new one because her lot and drives were not perfect. I know, it was my fault for wanting to get a few hours of sleep after busting my hump for 32 hours, but jeeze, give me a break! Their drives, garages, and sidewalks were opened up before the surrounding communities (not my accts), but she still had to *****.

According to the weather man we got about 16.5", but I no longer trust what he says. Parts of one of my lots had 33" at 4:15 this morning, and it continued snowing all day.

Oh well, gotta love it when mother nature throws us a curve ball.
  2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure it was not 1-3 every hour for 5 hours? j/k Glad you got everything open and ready to go.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

WOW he was way off.

it must be a good problem to have.........we havent had much work all year

BTW:i havent trusted the weather man for years now
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's funny. We got about 14 inches here during the day yesterday, and about 17 inches total. It was nuts! But at least they forcasted it here! lol payup
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hey they forecasted t storms in NJ yesterday and they were RIGHT.....:rolleyes:

GUESS THEy gave in to the ussmileyflag
  6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Out here 8-12 equals 1-2" of slush that is like pushing concrete around beating on the truck last night. Funny weatherman was like 12-18 coming, later that day 5-10 ,next morning wake up 3-5 then trying to explain it's the computers fault. they don't have a clue
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats the problem they rely too much on computers and they trick themselvs into thinkin there perfect.... what crap :nod:
  8. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Never, EVER trust the weatherman again. Use a radar site like http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/rad...=black&endDate=20080208&endTime=-1&duration=0 or http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMA0405&animate=true&enlarge=true
    to see what is coming. And check here http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off
    for the details that the "weatherman" bases his forecast on.

Wednesday evening the weatherman said freezing rain for us but we got heavy rain and thunderstorms.
  9. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Been like that since the end of Dec. here, but because of the wind and drifting.
  10. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well at least I know where our old weatherman moved to!:eek::D
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hahahahahahhah...... I guess at least he got some snow.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We get snow every week. Too bad it's "Teaser Snow" !
    1/2 inch here 1 inch there, gone by noon that day. Big system dumps on you guys turns to green on radar and rains on us. Goes past us turns white again on radar and dumps on the east coast. We can't win ! Not even a good lake effect event yet this year.
  14. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

yeah I only got done today from that same '1-3' in storm. Best part was I blew a brake line and had to use a tree to stop myself, and that put that truck out of commission from midnight the night it started to yesterday... Had to use a skid steer in right in downtown with no cab... not so much fun
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

One of my brothers got me a t shirt with " I'm plowing partly cloudy" on it. That was 5 years ago and nothing has changed with the weather forecasts.
  16. Plowin in VT

I think I might have seen you! All I know is that I saw an open cab skid steer going down Pearl St, and thought to myself "Damn, that must SUCK!"

Glad you got everything taken care of..... now we just have to deal w/the white stuff that's coming down now!
  17. riverwalkland

IF it was a bob cat s185 with a snow bucket, yeah that was me... I went down pearl hoping a gas station down there sold diesel but they didn't... yeah seems this '4-8in' they forcasted is less than 1 so far at my house

At least I have my truck back ....

Does your company have a name ? You in burlington, our outside of it?
  18. Plowin in VT

Don't remember a snow bucket, but yea, it was a bobcat s185 I think.

Company's name is First Vermont Odyssey, and I work in Burlington, S. Burlington, & Williston. What about you?

Glad you got your truck back!
  19. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

We got about 3"-4" from that one.

I spoke to a few people that came from the "city" to go skiing. They were very surprised to see what little snow we got. Most of the time we get more.

Glad to see we're out of the thaw cycle!
  20. riverwalkland

Co. Name is River Walk Landscaping, I do most of my work in Charlotte & Shelburne, with about 40% in Burlington/So. Burlington and Some summer stuff in winooski/williston