1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Simplified

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by n-easter, Nov 22, 2008.

1. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

1. If I Start my truck & then cut the line directly before the main push ram, should hydraulic fluid come out?

2. If it didn't come out & I then cut the line between the pump & the fluid control thingy & it Still didn't come out, would my problem lie in my Pump? (belt drive)

3. Wheres the filter I hear so many talk about? I have a belt drive pump.
    If I look under the filler cap in the pump I see a brass looking bolt head. Is that it?

Please please please.
    Thank you thank you thank you

N-Easter

Think Snow!

2. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    :waving:
    :help:

3. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Was there any fluid in the reservoir before you decided to start cutting hydraulic lines?

4. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

Yes to the full mark. It was kinda thick.
    New fluid made no difference.

I was just wondering where the problem might lie.
    The filter? Is there one? In the older belt type pumps?

If fluid is not making it to the Control Valves it must be the pump right?

System worked flawlessly last year.
    Pump may have been upside down once before the install to the new vehicle.

I was frustrated and at a temporary loss for proper descriptions.
    I didn't really cut the lines.

Thanks Big time for any Help & or Direction.

Think Snow!

5. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

I don't know how much help I will be because I don't know a lot about your set-up. However, I know that most pumps I have used for irrigation need to be primed before they will pump. Also, you bleed the system of air by raising and lowering the plow once. Then I open the reservoir to let air escape and to check the fluid level. Be aware that a lot of pressure can build up so remove the reservoir cap slowly. Confirm fluid level, replace cap, and actuate plow left and right. Repeat the fluid check. There is tons of info on this sight for bleeding and such. If all else fails, get to your dealer soon!!

6. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

That makes sense now. I was wondering how the air gets out in the various bleeding descriptions I have read here. That's why the blade has to move, manually if needed.

I'm still curious about the filter.

Many thanks

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The belt drive systems can take some time to get the fluid moving for the first time along with getting all the air out.

With the truck and pump running, go to the supply line at the valve body and "crack" the fitting until fluid comes out, using the "cracked fitting" method and with the controller in the correct postion for the selected function, start at the lift cylinder and then the turn cylinders and bleed the air off. Remeber that the fluid will be under pressure at the fittings so keep hands out of the way and open fittings slowly.

8. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

"cracked fitting" method.
    I disconnected the line to the main lift cylinder, put a bucket under it & throughout my engine starts I only ended up with a small puddle of fluid?

The pump was upside down & I'm thinking if there is a filter maybe sludge has now clogged it?

Thanks Big Time for this help!
    Alone we are lost.

Think Snow!

9. Crash935

Are you just starting the truck and letting it run or ar you also moving the controller to the raise position (you may need 2 people). By the cracked method i meant loosen the fitting just enough to get air or fluid out of it, remember that a open hose has 1700+ psi on it and the fluid will do more than just hit the bottom of the bucket.

10. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

I have moved the controller alot while the Trucks running but alas there is no pressure not even a drip out of the main hose which has been both connected and not connected.
    I have also revved the engine a bit but a higher RPM doesn't change anything.
    Thankyou for the heads up on pressure I will keep that in mind.

I was very very behind in yard cleanup/chores so I haven't tried anything more this past weekend.
    I plan on spending some time with it on Monday afternoon.

I live in Southern NH & we don't see Snow round these parts till mid February. ;-) So I have "some" time.
    All kidding aside though, my driveway is 1,000+ feet that starts with a nasty hill & ends with one to, so it is important I'm ready here.

I will try what I have learned here (many thanks) & definitely let ya know how it goes.

Like ya thread signature! "...i can park it crooked all by myself"!
    That's funny!

Thanks again.
    Think Snow!

11. Crash935

12. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

"Minute Mount System with Belt Driven Hydraulics"

I downloaded this manual around the same time I started this thread.
    It's manual #10 down on the list.
    It doesn't mention any filter. Least that I can see. :-/

On Page #11 it shows the system with my pump.
    Someone told me my local Napa sells these pumps & if need be I will steer myself down that avenue.
    But I so hate spending money I don't need to so I'd much rather fix this one.
    And I'd rather rule out the Control Valves Assy. as the problem before I drop any unnecessary cash.

Got a lot done today but was unable to include the plow in that bunch of chores. :-(
    Tomorrow for sure.

Thanks so much for sticking with me here!
    Think Snow!

13. Crash935

Beggining to wonder if you dont have high pressure and low pressure hoses from pump to valve body wrong?

What make, model and year truck so i can find you a parts break out.

14. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

I took this setup off a 1986 Bronco II V6 4x4
    I bought it 5 years ago & have been plowing fine with it ever since.
    Well the truck had many issues but the plow always worked flawlessly.

I took my 1999 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4x4 off the road & transferred everything to it.

The Rodeo has a serpentine belt but the belt to this pump is turned by a pulley that fits between the fan & the Serp. pulley. (Does that make sense the way I wrote it)?

Throughout my transfer, the Pump lines had never been disconnected from the Control Valve.
    And the control lines to the Control Valve were never removed either.

I was curious what the chances are that my current engine is turning a different way then the Bronco? Likely? Not likely?
    I don't think rpm is an issue I can't imagine it would make this much a difference. I mean No pressure at all?

Thanks.

Think Snow!

15. Crash935

Possibility, i dont know which way a Isuzu motor spins but it could also be the direction of the belt over the pulley.

16. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

If my or any Hydraulic Pump is turning the wrong way would it not work or just run in reverse?
    Would a pic of my system help?
    Can I attach jpgs here or just links to a jpg?

There is No pressure out of my Pump. That seems to be for sure.
    It appears my only two places to go from here are.
    1. Remove Pump and install backwards. (can be done but not easily).
    2. Replace Pump. (can be done but my wallet won't like it).

Today I tried to "force bleed" the system.
    With a helping hand I manually pushed the blade back/forth & up/down.
    While someone moved the controls.
    Blade & lift moves rather easy manually but the pump aint doin nothin. :-(
    We did this many times with no success.

I'm at a loss here.

Have a Great Holiday!!!
    Think Snow. (after this is fixed though) ;-)

17. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

Some Pics

I'm at a loss. :confused:

On this Pump Style is rotation only one way?
    It is turning Counter Clockwise.
    I switched the in/out lines once & it Blade still not moving?

It appears there is some pressure/flow from the control valve. Coming out the "out" line.
    But it's not by any means Dangerously High Pressure???

Here are some pics of my System.
    Also a close up of a part off the Control Valve.
    Are the Rubber Rings on this purchasable?

FISHER-EndPlug2.jpg

FISHER-HySys2.jpg

Again...
    Any & All Help/Direction... Hugely Appreciated!!!

Happy T-Day

FISHER-EndPlug2.jpg

FISHER-HySys2.jpg

18. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Sorry to see you are still not up and running. Here are a few ideas:
    1-Just for the hell of it, check and make sure for some odd reason the blade is not locked in position at the control head.
    2-Make sure the high pressure hose is connected in the right location.
    3-The control head is not fully actuating the valve spools. First check for excessive bends or obstructions at the exposed travel ends of cable. Also, be sure the check the pivot ends at the control head connection to be sure the cable ends are not unhooked or bent. The cables can be adjusted valve bulkhead. When both valve spools are in the center position, the control head should also be in the center position. There should be 1/4"-5/16" of travel each way on each valve spool.
    4-Crash is not kidding about the pump pressure. Be careful because 1400-1700psi will inject hydraulic fluid right through your skin.
    5-Check hoses for restrictions.
    6-Like you said, bad pump
    Good luck!! Happy Thanksgiving and hopefully I will get to drop plow tomorrow night late as a system is coming our way. Later- Brett

19. n-easter

n-easter Junior Member
    from NH

Light Snow this evening. :-(
    It being a Holiday weekend I haven't any time to proceed with this. But I'm still a bit confused.

I'm kinda mechanically inclined but am a bit confused on where to go from here, mechanically.
    Re; # 1 that would be a quick fix. Not sure how to do that?
    Re; # 3/5 all hoses & lines are kink free, there was one tiny kink in one line out of the pump but I tied it off to a straight position there all fine.

I thought about taking apart the control Valve and see what makes it tick clean it up & put it back together. Not even sure if it comes apart?
    But anyway with Snow on the "Way" I just want to have this complete & working.

I'm going to take that part in the 1st pic to a Plow dealer and see if they have new O rings & any advice.
    I have two choices, a Local Napa that sells Plow equipment or 30 miles away is a Company, Donovan Springs that is Big in this sorta stuff.

Can the better then average Plow dealer test my equipment, (off truck), to see if it's working?
    This is strictly a yard Truck & isn't registered so I'd have to take the equipment off 1st. Rams, Control Valve & pump. Nothing like going backwards? ;-(

Thanks again.
    Think Snow!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  20. Crash935

You need to get a hydraulic pressure tester and find out what kind of pressure the pump is putting out to the valve body. Switching the in/out lines will not make a differance, the pump only builds pressure in one direction. I have a feeling its a clockwise rotation so your probably running backwards. With no pressure to the valve body your wasting time trying to fix a problem that isnt there.