1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Simplicity vs. Toro? Single Stage Blower

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KildonanSnowRem, Oct 19, 2015.

1. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Does anyone have any experience with Simplicity single stage snow blowers? There is a Simplicity dealer near me that I would like to work with, but I am leaning towards a Toro Power Clear as I have been told they are amazing.

I am getting into residential snow removal and need a quick, light, and efficient single stage blower.

Simplicity 922EXD: https://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/snow-blowers/compare?OriginID={BD3EB643-43AF-4F2B-A836-B094511CFFB7}

Toro Power Clear 721 R-C: http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner...series.aspx?sid=power-clear-commercial-series

They are both about the same price ($30 difference), but I have little experience with either.

Any recommendations?

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How much does the Simplicity weigh? I couldn't find it in the specs. If you are lifting it by yourself on and off the truck many times per event, that will make a difference. That said, I used to use Simplicity 2 stage blowers and they were very good, but I would never by anything other than Toro for single stage. Honda I'm sure has a good single stage as well, just more expensive.

3. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

The Simplicity weighs 97 pounds. The Toro weighs 84 pounds.

Is that a deal breaker or is that negligible?

4. WIPensFan

To me it's a deal breaker.

5. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Thanks. Toro it is.

6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

If it helps, I love my toro. The paddles seem to hold up pretty good too, although I hate replacing then because of cost, but that's the price of business.

I also have 2 old '80 style snapper blowers that just don't die. They are light as hell too (maybe 50 lbs). If you can find some of these on craigslist, they're great little machines. I wouldn't want to stake my company on one, but as a backup or for an extra guy on your crew they're great, and cheap. I think I payed $115 for the pair I have.

7. JMHConstruction

84 lbs for the toro seems heavy? Maybe I just don't notice it (and it's usually not me who loads it back in the truck. That is only a 13 lb difference in the two. You may want to ask your simplicity dealer if you cam lift one up. Then see how easy it is to get up to truck hight. I've never used one, but if you can manage getting in and out of the truck, it will be nice having a dealer you already trust so close.

I know my 2 replies kind of contradict each other. I hope I'm not too confusing, it was a long day today. Good luck.

8. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I plan on buying the toro, i hear all good about it. This will be used primarily for 4-12 inch snows. I never even let my sidewalks get over 6" even if the property is closed, that just gets to be too much

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

10. Spike242

Spike242 Junior Member

11. JMHConstruction

I too am curious Buff. I teamed up with another crew that used one,but never got a good look. It did seem a little more quiet than the toro the guys were using. May have to pick one up to try once one of mine goes.

I still need to build those wings for my 2 stage! I'm hoping they work as well as I hope.

12. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Priced out the Honda's in my area and they are about 40% more in price. For this season, I think I have to skimp a bit and go with the Toro 721.

Maybe next season though!

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Honda has a metal chute which is more durable when the blower falls over in the back of the truck, and it will. It could be argued snow could freeze to a metal chute easier than plastic. I have not had any problems.
    The chute adjustment is done with one mechanism which again is metal and close to the same height as the handle bars. This equates to less bending over and faster adjustments.
    Honda's paddles are a 3 piece design, you can replace one section if needed rather than the whole paddle. The paddles are also a supported better, little stiffer / thicker and won't flex as much resulting in better snow throwing performance.
    I believe Honda owns the small engine market and the Honda is a better engineered product.

blowers.jpg

14. WIPensFan

Engines better no doubt...the rest of that is laughable.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

As are Penguin's fans.......Thumbs Up

16. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Lmao...As are Lions Fans

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Who are you to question the mountain King of snow

He's been known to roll snowballs down the eastern slope......taking out the naysayers

18. WIPensFan

Thanks for the heads up...

19. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

You can't go wrong with Toro power lights but even after 8 hours of whipping that light thing in and out of the truck it feels pretty heavy by the end of the night

20. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Okay. I have nearly made the decision, now it is between the Powerclear 721 R and the Powerclear 721 RC.

Toro Power Clear 721 R C - http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner....aspx?pid=Power-Clear-Commercial-721R-C-38751

Toro Power Clear 721 R - http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner...e/pages/model.aspx?pid=power-clear-721r-38741

721RC: $799/CAD. Weighs more. Metal chute. Thicker paddles.

721R: $659/CAD. Weighs less. Plastic chute. Thinner paddles.

Either way, I was told that the paddles need to be replaced on either machine at the end of the year no matter what. Is the metal chute really worth $150 more?