1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

simple insurance question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bossman 92, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Alright, I am working on snow removal customers now and have a question. Most of my customers want plowed @ 1.5" and salted, anything less just salt. I have a few customers that don't want any salt unless they call. Should I write somthing up saying I am not liable for someone slipping due to lack of salt? I have never had a prolbem, but I think i might need to cover myself just in case. I think if I said they have to sign a waver,they would just say salt whenever it needs it.

THANKS BOSSMAN

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you should include this, it is called a "hold Harmless" clause I believe. Be as specific as possible, often, in my expierience clients see this and allow you to use your discretion for salting.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

x2. Salting on call is also a pain, you just get home and crawl into bed after a big storm, then the phone rings.

4. SnowPusher513

SnowPusher513 Junior Member

you can never be too safe in covering your butt.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you use a contract, you could just list the services you provide and have them check what services they want. Or you could note: "Customer declines salt". Or: "Customer will notify contractor if salt is desired". I would suggest having salting services spelled out exactly. Putting something like "As needed" can lead to trouble. If you do salt and no one gets hurt, they argue that salt wasn't needed. If you don't salt and someone gets hurt, then it was obvious that it needed salt.