1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Simple ? from a newbie!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dude C, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dude C

Dude C Junior Member

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster. Just getting started this season with plowing and have a couple quiestions. I currently own a window Cleaning Biz, that doesn't do so hot in the middle of winter, so I had to look for other avenue's of income for three months. The trucks in the shop getting maintence done, and the plow showed up yesterday. My question is, what extra's would I need to carry on board as a " just in case" situation? I have a few things that were obivous. 2 tow straps, toolbox of misc. tools, work gloves, HD shovel, flashlights, bumb box.....Any idea's would be great.

Matt

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the emergency parts kit for your plow. It'll have an extra hose, solenoid, pins (most of the stuff that breaks when plowing).

3. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

A couple beers and a bottle of jack daniels to keep you warm !

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I have a few things that were obivous. 2 tow straps, toolbox of misc. tools, work gloves, HD shovel, flashlights, bumb box.....Any idea's would be great.

Matt[/QUOTE]

What's a bumb box?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site Matt, but try the "search" feature or read the other posts about what to carry.
    Best thing to have ia s cell phone. You WILL get stuck

6. Dude C

Dude C Junior Member

Maybe if I drank.....lol

What's a bumb box?[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout that, a jump box.

Thanks for the welcome. Cell phone, check. Now if it just got decent service. :nod:

7. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Use the search function-I haven't been a member here that long but have been plowing for 23 years and have learned a ton from the knowledgable people here. I see you mentioned that you are getting a new plow but I still would carry some spare parts (hose,pins e.tc.),some extra fluid for not only the plow but for the truck,a couple of ice scrapers,extra socks,boots,jacket,hat,gloves,salt/sand (for traction if you are not salting/sanding drives). I know it seems like a lot of crap to drag with you but there is nothing worse than being stranded/stuck at 3 in the morning in the middle of a job with snow falling-especially if it is because of a $5 part. Make contact with a towing service in your area and get a 24 hr number you can reach them at-as was mentioned previously you will get stuck sooner or later. Good luck this season.

8. Dude C

Dude C Junior Member

Thank you for the idea's and list of stuff. Have plenty of room to carry extra's. We all hope to never get stuck, but yes it will happen..lol
    Like I said this is gonna be a new thing for me, but the snow fall here it'nt as bad as say Michigan. Last year was bad at about 2 feet and people were just nuts on the road. Not looking to make a killing at it at first, this year is just a trial run..

9. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

10. Dude C

Dude C Junior Member

That is a great thread, plenty of insight. Thanks a bunch.:waving: