1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Simple driveway question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TJ_with_Tusks, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TJ_with_Tusks

TJ_with_Tusks Junior Member
    from Boston

To clear a drive you back in and push the snow out. Then you need to clear the part closest to your house by hand, right ? I ready about people clearing a drive in 4 minutes. How is this done ?? Thanks

2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

You can do it by hand, but you can turn your truck pull in the driveway froward, get right up to the house drop your plow and back up adout 2 truck lengths rase plow,if it is not clear repeat. Then turn your truck around back in past that snow pile, and push that pile were you need it.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

by hand will do a clean job but it is too much work so just backdrag it and if youre still not satisfied then shovel

4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I tkink he wanted to know how to back-drag.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Obviously it will depend on how much/what type of snow, your experience, size of plow, size/type of driveway and where you can stack snow. Most of my residential driveways from hell were old narrow long drives that went past the house and opened up to the detached double garage. But your "typical" driveway is 2 cars wide x 3 deep. If the town plow has already been by than I drop the blade as I get to the driveway and clear that pile at an angle into the lawn, back up and drive up the side of driveway closest to the house. Drop the blade straight in front of garage and back drag to bottom of driveway. Lift blade and pull forward while moving forward 3/4 onto the fresh snow, stopping in front of garage, drop blade. Start back dragging but quickly angle blade to keep snow from spilling over onto the cleaned side. Repeat one more time. Now back into road and come at an angle to the pile you've back dragged to the bottom of driveway and push it into the lawn, remember to push it far enough back that you don't block the sidewalks(and view of on-coming traffic) also remember to take your blade out of float before you hit the lawn, otherwise you'll watch the grass roll-up in front of you.

6. TJ_with_Tusks

TJ_with_Tusks Junior Member
    from Boston

Ah, I never knew about back-draggin. Thanks. I always went plowing with a friend who would make me clear the top by hand. Is there any reason why back dragging would be a bad idea ?

7. rjs

rjs Junior Member

blade on backside of plow

we are thinking about getting a guy to weld a blade along the backside of our plows with maybe a hinge attached for bumps or unlevel ground. Anyone else ever tryed this? byw... artics back blade great, even in 5 or 6" snow.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not exactly a "bad" idea. Just that if you have a light plow, it wont scrape down to the surface as well as a heavier plow. The light ones will tend to ride up on the snow. I use a Fisher 7.5' RD (regular duty) and it backdrags fine. Needless to say, my 9' does even better. Just be sure to pay attention behind you. The first place I plowed for pay, I had to backdrag from a house. Missed her car by "that much". I've gotten so I can windrow by backdragging. Helps when clearing a driveway that's more than one car wide or in a snowfall of more than around 6".

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, if your plow does not clear down to the pavement very well, and the conditions are just right, what your plow leaves behind starts to build up. This happened to me my first season, hence the reason I had the back-drag blade welded on.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

A guy around here has a "backdrag solution" that he has done to quite a few plows. He cuts it lengthwise a few inches above the trip edge, then welds it back on with a little different angle, so the bottom section is pretty much straight up and down instead of curved. Supposedly it makes them backdrag much better. I think it would maybe make the trip edge trip quicker, but I dont know, Ive never tried on. My friend had his done and he was happy with it.

11. Detroitdan

As far as backing in and pushing out, I would avaid that whenever possible. You don't want to drive over the snow because you will pack it down and make it harder to scrape off, plus the packed tiretracks you leave will be slippery and dangerous to walk on for your customer, will probably turn to ice and then they will be there for the season. The biggest concern is, at least in my state, it is illegal to plow snow across the road. Not only is it dangerous to you and the people you're driving out in front of, it leaves snow on the roadway, can make wet or icy spots that are dangerous for passersby. When I was a police officer I stopped a few guys to make them aware that they were not allowed to plow across the road. They would always whine and say they had nowhere else to put the snow. I once came across about four 12-18 inch high windrows crossing the road where some slob had done a sloppy job of a driveway, dragged the bottom of my cruiser getting past them, could have caused an accident easily. I tracked the guy down and made him go back and clean it up, but he b&tched about it big time. And I'm sure he never stopped doing it either. Another guy I told several times not to do it with his own driveway, he always left it a mess and he was always in the road on a bad blind hill, and of course he didnt even run a warning light. And no matter how many times I told him he kept doing it. He still does it. Another time an old buck shoveled his entire driveway into the roadway, he told me it would melt faster on the pavement. I told him that when some soccer mom came around the corner and wrecked her mini-van it would be his fault. He refused to clean it up, said he'd have a heart attack if he had to shovel anymore. At that point it made me liable if there was an accident, so I called the highway department and instructed them to plow all the snow back into his driveway. Of course, they refused to do that and plowed it down the road to the side. It just drives me nuts that when the roads get bad and we're all out working our butts off to make it safe again for everyone, so many people are just out for themselves and to hell with everybody else. That kind of attitude is the main reason I'm not in law enforcement anymore. Whew, sorry about the rant, I tend to vent when I come across one of my pet peeves.

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dan, why didn't you write them a ticket? It was against the law, you are/were a police officer....

13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It depends. I personally do not like the idea of backing in and pushing out as it packs the snow down. I will come in on a diagonal and push off to the sides of a drive just right or left of the house or garage (depending on what side the drive is on. Then once I have a little slot cleared I can backdrag some. Then whatevers left may have to get shoveled but I wont plow a drive that I have to get out and do substantial shoveling at, it takes too much time.

14. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Dan,

I wanted to be a cop when I was younger. I have a degree in Justic Studies even. I somehow wound up a business owner and am very happy now looking back that I made the choice not to pursue law enforcement. What are you doing now? How long were you on the job? I have friends today who are RI and CT state cops and all they do is ***** about the politics of it all.

15. Detroitdan

I tried to never write people tickets for something that had no victim, except speeding and even then I think I was pretty generous. I stopped cars at 15 over and wrote tickets at 20 over. There were some aspects to the job that I loved, but a lot of it I hated. Mostly the fact that most of the people you get to meet arent people you want to meet. And the hours were brutal. And the politics finally got the best of me and I quit. I am now a commercial truck driver, which I really enjoy, but I wish I could make more money (doesnt everybody?). As I get older and the past begins to blur, I sometimes miss being a cop, but I'm sure it's because I have begun to forget how lousy a job it was.

16. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

were you an officer in MI, if so, where?

17. Detroitdan

No, the Detroit thing usually throws people off. I got the nickname Detroit Dan a few years ago when I was driving a truck with an old Detroit Diesel 2 stroke. That thing was loud and fast and obnoxious, and you didnt sneak up on anyone with it. I'm from NH