1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Simple Differential Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by clayexi, Jun 16, 2003.

1. clayexi

clayexi Junior Member

OK, I've changed my fluid several times over the years, but what is the reason for the rubber hose that is coming off the top of the differential housing? It's plugged and as far as I can see, not needed.

Thanks.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It is a vent, and it should not be plugged. It should have a little spring loaded cap on the end, made of plastic. IT might look like a plug, but it is not. If someone before you plugged the hose, you should install a vent cap.

~Chuck

3. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Junior Member

To expand on what Chuck said, if you're wondering why it has to be vented, it's to prevent pressure build-up as the unit heats up. Without the vent it will push oil past the seals at the very least. At worst it will blow the seals out.

JP

4. clayexi

clayexi Junior Member

Thanks, I'm good-to-go now. That plug was actually a mud clogged vent. I even heard the air escaping when I pulled it off. That positive pressure won't be a problem again.

clay