1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

similar trucks, same price, GAS vs PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GripTruk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I already posted this in response to another thread, so I apologize if you've seen this already. I already got a food good responses but I figured this would get some more eyes on it maybe.

I've got a bit of a dilemma here. I WANT a diesel but I don't know if it is really worth it to me... here's an example.

2 trucks i'm looking at-

2006 F 250 6.0 diesel with 78,000 miles
    2005 F 350 5.4 gas with 48,000 miles

Both are listed for $20,000 and are very similarly equipped. (tow command, FX4, clean looking trucks) The 350 has 4x4 on the floor, the 250 has it on the dash.

350 Gasser Pros -
    higher GVW
    lots less miles
    more plow capacity due to lighter engine
    No worries of 6.0 gremlins

250 Diesel Pros -
    Sweet Diesel sound and Torque
    More Towing Capacity
    Better "gas" mileage
    Newer (but higher miles sort of negates this)

So what's my choice? sure the diesel is nice but is it really worth buying a truck with 30,000 more miles to get a diesel of questionable reliability for slightly better gas mileage and the cool feeling you get from having a diesel? I know the diesels are supposed to run forever, but the rest of the truck still has 30,000 miles more wear than the other one. Sure the Diesel has more torque but I never really felt under powered in my tahoe towing my trailer and the gasser has about 50 more horsepower and 30 more pounds of torque (than my Tahoe), not a huge difference, but enough to make up for the difference in weight, at least.

Any opinions would be great, This isn't exactly a Gas vs. Diesel debate, I'm sold on the merits of Diesel, and it would be my first choice, but the question is really whether it is worth getting a truck with 30,000 extra miles just to have it.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with the F350 gas engine.
    while i swore i would never buy another gas truck again, if it ain't a 7.3, it ain't gonna be on my property. there are just too many problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels for my tastes.
  3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks for the reply...

Do you have any experience with the 5.4 gas?
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

5.4 is a great motor. I've got the 2 valve- I think yours is the 3 valve; more HP. What gears? 4:10 or 3:73?
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Does it or did it have a plow? Check the ball joints.
  6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I agree with Fordfisherman, the 5.4 is a great motor. With the issues of the 6.0, it's almost a no brainer for alot of guys. The 5.4 is a very reliable engine with a great reputation. You won't be dissappointed, in my opinion.
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

With it being an 06 I am not too worried about the 6.0 Just more of the fact its a F250 with less gvw. If your going to be towing it with and not loading its youll be fine and I would say go with the diesel.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the diesel but thats just me... by 2006 most of the 6.0 issues were fixed!
  9. F-350PSD

F-350PSD Junior Member

PSD PSD PSD PSD! Diesel over gas anyday and everyday
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

11. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I wanted diesel,too. Know the merits of them. I don't put that many miles on the pickup or tow that much to justify diesel. If one was to work the dogs**t out of a truck, I think diesel would be the way to go. Had 350 chevy 4 speed and went to 5.4 auto. WOW, I'm in tall cotton. I don't think there is that much difference on the truck miles to worry about it.
  12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

So it looks like we're about even here, it seems everyone agrees that 5.4 is a good motor and the 2006 PSD is probably free of issues the earlier 6.0s were plagued with.

Given my preference i'd probably go with the Diesel, EXCEPT for the 2 issues that are really making me think twice, the extra miles on that truck, and the limited plow capacity on the front end.

The trailer I tow is an open car hauler, about 4500 lbs loaded up. (only about 1/2 the capacity of the 5.4 with 4.10 gears, or a little more than 1/3 of the 6.0 with the same gears) So really, as it stands I'm well within the capacity of the 5.4, even if it has 3.73s. I'm not sure which gears either truck has yet, I'm waiting for an answer.

If it were equal miles it probably wouldn't even be a question, but 30,000 is a lot of extra miles, about 3 years worth based on how much i'll probably use this thing. Regardless of how trouble free the engine is, that's a lot of extra wear on the axles, steering, transmission, body, brakes, etc. etc.

Think about that, especially the PSD fan boys, when you answer.

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what your doing for a plow. But this would be nice to have. Summer is coming so I bet you could a decent price. He is cutting everything now. If It was a Dodge set up I would consider it. But not worth loot to me since I would have to change to many parts

14. svt2205

svt2205 Member

Before needing to decide on which truck will get the job done for you, get the VIN's and find someone at a Ford dealership who will run you the OASIS reports on both. This will give you insight into the warranty/repair history of both trucks.

One thing to consider with the 5.4, being a 3 valve engine, you will be faced with the challenge of needing to change the spark plugs. This unfortunately is not always an easy thing and can become rather expensive in the event a head needs to be pulled. Here's a copy of the latest TSB showing the issue. http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jmcdo28/2009-01-02_155622_tsb08-07-06.pdf Visit any ford truck forum and see what others say about this.

And 3.73's with the 5.4 can make for an underpowered truck. Or at least that's my impression.
  15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

a friend of mine is a ford motorsports dealer. all he has ever owner is ford, and will not even think of any other vehicle. in O6 he was looking for a stronger vehicle than his lightning .
    even though i warned him against it, he bought a 6.0.
    it is pure stock, nothing at all has been modified on it except for larger tires.
    at 85k miles the HPOP went.last Friday,at 98k miles, the engine locked up. antifreeze in the oil and cylinders.

it was towed out by ford yesterday afternoon. he is now driving a new V10 gas engine truck, and agrees with me now that never again for a diesel unless it is a 7.3, or a FORD engine.
  16. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

yea but the 6.0 engine is covered by a 100k mile warranty that covers everything on the engine. same thing happened to a friend of mines excursion with 94k miles, they dropped a new engine in the truck, no questions asked. the engines might have some problems but ford knows and takes care of all of them no questions asked from what i have seen.
  17. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

The difference comes down the road, when the gas engine is all used up and the diesel is just getting broke in properly.

The other difference is in low end torque. The diesel makes a ton more -- a TON more. For plowing, that seems (to me at least -- and I plow with a diesel) to make sense.

I plow at idle most of the time with the diesel. I have to wind up the gas motor to get the same effect.

Then, there is the mileage issue. The 5.4 is never going to keep up with the diesel. Trailering is another issue. I've trailered with both. Diesel ALL the way. In fact, add a Bully Dog controller, exhaust, intake, etc., and wake that baby up some. :gunsfiring:
  18. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I appreciate all the replies guys!

The only thing is that everyone is focusing only (or mostly) on the engines. but that's not the only part of a truck that wears out. Of the thousands I've spent on maintenance and repairs on the tahoe, I'd say 80% is not engine related. Now, granted, upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton will help with that but miles are miles, and in that respect it doesn't matter if it's a diesel, gas or if it's just coasting down hill, things are still spinning and shaking and bouncing. That's what concerns me most about that diesel, It's well on it's way to 100K while the gasser is only half way there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  19. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

If anybody knows somebody that knows somebody, that could do one of these Oasis reports, here are the VINs, I only heard of the Oasis yesterday. I'm not a member of any of the ford forums yet and I hate to have post #1 be asking for something.

2005 F-350 GAS
    VIN 1FTWX31525EC25645

2006 F-250 PSD
    VIN 1FTSX21PX6EC26568

20. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt worry about it, most of the guys are real cool on the ford forums, my first post was the oasis for my truck. just go to a ford dealer and theyll hook ya up. i got a carfax account so dont know if youve run them yet but they are both clean. 05 is a 1 owner from CT and the 06 is a 1 owner lease truck from MA also clean.