1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sima

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by badranman, Dec 30, 2003.

1. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I didn't know what other forum to put this in . When I click on someones link to SIMA it never manages to fully connect. It does this with everyones link. How can I get on their website? The links don't work for me. On a related note, what exactly is SIMA? I keep seeing posts to join, check them out, get tips etc. but I can't seem to find any information on what they're fully about. Any help would be appreiciated.:salute:

2. capital

capital Senior Member

3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Once again that doesn't work, says opening page etc. but doesn't do it. Every other link for other topics work fine.Weird.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's working for me. There are a lot of graphics, so maybe it's slow if you're using an older modem?

5. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

Its cuz their entire index is created in FLASH. You must have macromedia flash player installed with your Internet browser.

6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Thanks guys.:salute:
    Chuckwk was right, I had to download macromedia first.

I'm a little computer illiterate.

Is this worth joining? For the cost?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  7. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

^ yes

8. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I know the topic has been well covered in the past, so a search might yield more opinions. However, for what it's worth, absolutely SIMA is worth the membership cost if you are interested in developing, improving or growing your snow business. SIMA has many members that are willing to share information. The educational programs are excellent. The annual symposium is worth the trip if you can get away for it.

9. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I live in Canada so basically I was wondering if there was as much benifet for me as compared to guys in the states.

10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

20% of the membership is from Canada........

11. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I think I'm gonna join. I'm in this for the long haul and any info/tips/help I can get is very helpful and interesting. :)

12. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I don't quite understand why you are asking about SIMA membership and you have "SIMA Member" as part of your signature? And yes it is worth the money.

13. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

maybe he joined and then edited his profile sig.

14. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Yes I did! Thanks Chuck.:drinkup:

15. chris k

chris k Senior Member

That's great. Congratulations on your membership. You will find a lot of great info through SIMA.

16. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Just got my 3 lb binder from Sima, wow. I know there are a few people on this site who "manage' SIMA so to say, and I was wondering if anybody could give me an unbiased opinon if the books,tapes etc. are worth the money. I really love the magazines and reading different companies success stories and strategies.

17. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

What information can you get through SIMA that you can't get here, if you asked.

18. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Well i was kinda thinking it would be a good idea to have as much 'formal training' as I could get. Thought it would be useful if a slip and fall ever happened. A lawyer may ask "How do you know how much salt to put down? any training or are you guessing?". If I have as much documentation as I can get that shows that I'm as up to date as one might get, and I'm making all attempts to do my job the best way possible I figure this can only help me. I also think I would learn a thing or two as well as have some footage to show any new guys before the start of next season etc.

19. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

To be honest, you may never get more information from SIMA than you get here. It all depends on how you choose to make use of your SIMA membership. Out of the 1100 plus members if you were to poll them on whether they think their SIMA membership is worth the investment, I'm sure you would get a representative sample across the board indicating varying degrees of satisfaction. Why? Because like anything, satisfaction is based on expectations. If you expect SIMA or anyone else to hand you the information you need to run your business, you'll walk away thinking that the investment in time, energy and money was not worth it. If you approach SIMA as opportunity to network and learn through relationships by attending educational programs, chatting on the SIMA Forums, calling up people you know and talking snow with them, so forth and so on, you'll gain tremendously.

Involvement on any chat forum as your only source of information is limiting, no matter what the forum. The quality of information you can receive over the Internet will only take you so far. If you want to become a "millionaire" than you need to hang where the "millionaires" are gathering. You need to be close to them so you can learn about the little things they do that have made a difference in their lives. I'm sure we all have aspirations of growing our businesses.

How large are the companies that individuals represent on this message board or any other community message board? Smaller in general is my best guess. "Small" is a relative term. What is small to some may be large to others. Let's quantify it for a moment.

Snow Business Magazine in their 2002 State of the Industry report tabulated the responses to their surveys and reported the following findings on the size of businesses responding to the survey (a representative sample of the entire industry).

Under $50,0000 --------- 37%
    $50,000 - $100,000 ---- 12.5%
    $100,000 - $199,000 --- 21.5%
    $200,000 - $299,000 --- 10.5%
    $300,000 - $499,000 --- 8.0%
    $500,000 - $699,000 --- 3.0%
    $700,000 - $999,000 --- 3.5%
    Over $1 million ----------- 4.0%

In and of it self, these numbers only show that 89.5% of the snow services industry produces less than $500,000 in revenue. The numbers by themselves don't tell any particular story, they just provide a snap shot of the industry.

Contrast this to a survey that SIMA did of it's members in 2002:

Under $100,000 --------- 12%
    $100,000 - $250,000 --- 17%
    $250,000 - $500,000 --- 5%
    $500,000 - $1 million --- 19%
    $1 million to $2.5 mill --- 29%
    $2.5 million to $5 mill --- 7%
    Over $5 million ----------- 12%

67% of responding SIMA members are doing more than $500,000 in business. The relative difference of the "average" SIMA member and the "average" snow service contractor surveyed by Snow Business Magazine shows that SIMA members tend run larger businesses than the "average" contractor. Why is this? I can only hypothesize that successful business owners recognize the value of belonging to an industry association where the opportunity to network and learn from one another is greater than it would otherwise.

(NOTE: The surveys in both cases only tabulated the responses from those who cared to reply to the surveys. Not all of the "big" companies just as not all of the smaller contractors replied. The surveys are taken to be a representative sampling that at the very least can provide some anecdotal evidence of the differences between the general SIMA membership profile relative to the industry at large.)

Is SIMA for everyone? No. But I can tell you from personal experience that the more you put into the organization, the more you will get back. Having worked on a committee for SIMA (which is open to anyone who is interested) has been one of the best experiences I have had. I have learned so much as a result and made many new friends with whom I able to network. For those that don't care to get involved on committees or the like there are still tremendous educational opportunities. Being involved just increases those opportunities and helps to make them more meaningful.

20. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Lawn lad

Thanks for the advice.
    I joined SIMA for the same reasons you mentioned. I believe that it is only a part of what is out there as far as learning opportunities. I guess I didn't say it as clearly as you, I like to have as many different places as I can to be able to network etc.
    Just like you stated, I joined because I felt the people who were members have a professional attitude towards their work and aren't just fly by night guys, they're in it for the long haul and want to grow their business as I do.
    Just wondering if the books, tapes etc. had any useful information on them, not that I was relying solely on them,sorry for the confusion.