1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sima -yes or no ,who's in who's not

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cincy snowdog, Dec 29, 2005.

1. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

sima-what is it about ,worth the money or not?

2. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Worth the money,

Excellent opportunity to network and learn!!

Just renewed for 2 yrs:)

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Charter Member here. Well worth the initial investment.

I would be renewing even if I wasn't a lifetime member.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Nope, not here- too much $$ for me to be worth it. IMHO
    Noone I know locally, professionally belongs either- same reason.

5. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Not a member.
    How exactly is it worth the money? Just curios.
    If I thought they would help me make more money or even save money on new equipment I would have joined.

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Just signed up for 2 more years.

Great training programs, symposium, and a ton of other items to help you improve your business.

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Maybe sometime in the future, but not now. I can't really justify the expense.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Not here either.

Have all the work I want, with the money that I'd like to be making for doing it.

But I'm also a one man show as well, so...... maybe if I was running bunches of subs, or a fair amount of employees.

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

For those on the fence, I would suggest taking the plunge. It is not cheap but what is ? I feel if your interested in improving your snow plowing business in any aspect, Sima would be able to help. I can honestly say I have not really scratched the surface on what there is offered with Sima. There are some awesome members there that really do want to help the lil guy. It has been said before that you really get back what you put in with Sima, and I tend to agree.
    If your company is content were it is at, then it is really an expensive magazine subscription. But if you need help, and want help, you can find it there.
    Todd

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  10. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

What is SIMA?

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

12. JOEC

JOEC Member

Not worth it. Sorry Sima. Joined and I was told all the great things why I should join. I recieved the packet nice little packet. Never got a magazine after that. Called and asked a simple question. Response was goto the web site and find it there. I figured the two hundred Im sending them. I'll just go surfing on the web. There I'll find my answer and logic. Network forget about it. You got a better chance of finding subs here. The people who are on this site have more logic and more sweat and more sleepless nights than any of them behind a desk. No offense. It was a simple question. :yow!:

13. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I'm not..

Yes to:

BBB
    Local Chamber Of Commerce
    Local Business Network Partnerships

and NYS Turf organizations

All I've ever gotten from these big national companies are packets of information on more things I can buy to improve my business.

We are doing just fine...

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

In my experiance most trade organisations are glorified handshake clubs- our local Chamber of Commerce is the same too. They schedule Networking breakfasts for members, for example- at 9AM on a weekday- when you're supposed to be working.:dizzy:

SIMA claims to offer alot on their site, but there realistically isn't anything I need. I'd be interested in real life examples of how SIMA membership has benifitted those (first hand) who belong. I think that would be a better endorsement than just saying "join". That's alot of cash for a membership- and a serious waste of money as an expensive magazine subscription.

15. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

anyone else?

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Nope, not a member.

I was a member of the SME for a few years during and after college (Society of Mechanical Engineers) after being told what great things it does for resumes etc. It was being pushed by one of our teachers. More or less our entire class signed up... probably the same in other classes too.

Yes, I put it on my resume. No one had ever heard of it. Turned out, after I think two years as a member, if you signed on other people for membership, there was a cash kickback for you!!! No wonder our teacher was pushing it so much! Our memberships were like $80US per year. I think the kickback was about $5 per person.

All I ever got was a crappy magazine that was 97% ads and lots of invitations to seminars I could go to to the tune of $2000-10000 a piece.

This really left a sour taste in my mouth about these sort of organizations. That is not to say I wouldn't try again if I researched it first, just not right now when cash flow is still too small.

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Duplicate post for some reason....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  18. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

You can network and learn here for FREE!!!:drinkup:

19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yep! :nod:

20. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

SIMA... Isn't that a Disney Character, Yeh you know the one in the Lion King...Anyway, I say no! If you have good customer service skills and half a brain. You'll figure out how to make your business successful! All it takes is dedication and persistence. Learn from your mistakes and march on! Good Luck! payup