1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA Yea or Nea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc4163, Nov 14, 2001.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

For a person just getting into this field, snow and ice managment, is SIMA something I should consider? Ive looked at old threads and it was a pretty hot topic then. Seems that the only people who talked highly of it were the ones in SIMA.
    Also if someone has a link or address, all I find is a surfing site.
    Thanks and hope this doesn't get TOO bloody.
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

The only ones high on it are those that are members ????

That alone should tell you SOMETHING...!!!!

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

SIMA membership:

I'd certainly consider it. This will be my first season plowing "for hire", and I feel my membership $ were well spent.

In the short term, information and assistance from fellow SIMA members helped me with getting my "snowbiz" established.

In the long term, increasing the level of professionalism in the snow & ice industry is good for everyone.

OK, that was my $.02! :)
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last year was my first year plowing. I'd say that the cost of SIMA membership has paid for itself several times over. Overall, PlowSite is more entertaining, though there has been a couple of pretty "interesting" topics of discussion.
  5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I joined SIMA about a year ago. We had one truck route last season. This season we have already booked five truck routes.

You could feasibly be a member and gain nothing. Of course, the effort you put into learning and networking with fellow members is going to directly correlate with your successes.

The short answer: Yes. Join SIMA and don't bother wondering if it is money well spent. I spent half a day with a fellow SIMA member discussing what he knows about the business and how that could relate to my biz.

I probably drove the poor guy nuts by asking a constant barrrage of questions. However, he was extremely candid and helpful. Find a local member or two that is running a successful biz and learn all you can.

Three years ago, I was dead set against doing snow removal. Now nearly half of our sales revenue is snow related.

Collectively, SIMA has way more to offer individuals than any individual could ever contribute to SIMA. I have no personal gain or loss if you join. However, I hope you join and find the same success others of us have found!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2001
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

7. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

ABSOLUTELY the best thing I've done to improve my snow fighting business...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2001
  8. soilmover

soilmover Member

Even at a small level, This is the way to go!!

Save money!, Save time!, Be a professional!,Meet new people.

It has helped grow our company from a one man snowblower to

a 35 plus fleet of people during snow events.:)

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have been pushing snow for about 14 years, I work with my father who has been in the buisness for 31 years. We are a successful company, but if sima had been around when my father started I can't even imagine what our buisness would have developed into. For me the knowledge about contracts, insurance, and even what equipment to use and where to use it is worth the membership fee ALONE!

My personal opinion on joining sima is this. If you are an individual just starting out who plans on plowing more than a few drives for friends you will gain the most, BY FAR. This is not to say that if you have owned a plowing buisness for years you will get nothing out of sima but ....... lets put it this way, you can't believe how much you didn't know until you join sima.
  10. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We are a SIMA member but unless you do large amounts of commercial buildings and working with property management company's I dont feel you need it. We got it to seperate our company from the rest for winter season maintenance just like we belong to ALCA for our summer services our and most companies want something extra and little things like these seperate you from others but if your non-commercial I would think long and hard.
  11. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

I joined because this will be my first year plowing. I had no idea how or what to put in a contract. I had brain stormed and put down a variety of my own ideas and thoughts. I wasn't sure if it was enough or not enough, professional enough or not. So I decided to join because I was a little nervous about the proposals and contracts that I came up with. Wording and so forth, wasn't sure if it would be right or not. I should've went with my gut instinct, my contracts and proposals were fine. I really did not benefit from that area and have been too busy to get anything else out of it yet. I would imagine it will be informative when I dig a little deeper, I hope. The binder they sent was back issues of Snow Business magazine, plow brochures I already had from the internet, a snow fighters manual geared for highway plowing, and a huge members book. I definately will give the organization a chance but was not real impressed at first glance. I don't want to bash them but I am telling my first impression. As the season gets rolling here pretty quik I will devote more time to see how everything works and what I can really get out of it.
  12. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

21st year at this sport - still joined this year to learn more and profit more.
  13. Snowcop

Snowcop Junior Member
    from OH

I was in Erie Pa today and I stopped in the SIMA offices and met the ladies and joined. I've been in the commercial snowplowing business for 8 years and thru the help of this site and the information I have recieved while being here a short time, I determined I need more information. I researched SIMA extensively and I came to the conclusion these people were serious about the snow plowing industry. We need that now as much as ever. Give them a look. And thanks to Peggy Allin for the great phone directions..

14. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

If you want to grow your business, be profitable, become a true snow and ice manager, and do your part to improve this industry, then join. If you want to stagnate, spin your wheels season after season, staying small and just making the payments then save your $140. Joining was the best move I have ever made in this business. I have signed 4 decent contracts for the simple reason that the customer was impressed we were members of a professional organization. With their invoices so far I could have joined 345 more times! It is my belief that SIMA attracts the best in this industry. I make it a habit of surrounding myself with people that are smarter and more experienced than myself. Including my employees. Only good can come of membership. Good luck.