1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA wants your snow client's contact info?#@%

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bartolini, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartolini

bartolini Member

Please take note that SIMA sent me an email (pasted below) requesting my client's info. Wow! I was warned years ago about sneaky association members who join clubs to get your info and steal clients. Good advice Nick Corrado....Rest in Peace.

(EMAIL FROM SIMA)
    Please respond on or before Wednesday November 17.

Dear John Bartolini:

In the next few months, SIMA is engaging in a comprehensive research study to determine the needs and issues that your customers-end-users of snow and ice management services-are considering when determining a snow and ice provider. We are asking for your assistance in providing names, email addresses and phone numbers of one or more of your customers to contact them about their interest in participating in this study.

Your responses will be confidential (meaning no customer contact information will be shared with SIMA). SIMA has obtained the services of Monalco Marketing- an independent research company. They will be conducting all research, including electronic surveys, interviews, and focus groups.

If you are willing to provide contact information for one or more of your customers to participate, please simply reply to this email message with the following customer information:

Contact name:
    Company name:
    Email address:
    Phone number:

All information will go directly to Monalco Marketing and Monalco will contact them with more information.

Please keep in mind that if you provide a contact name of your customer, we recommend that you notify that person in advance that Monalco Marketing will contact them on behalf of SIMA. Monalco will acknowledge your referral when contacting the end-user.

Final results of this study will be shared with all SIMA members.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

Martin Tirado, CAE
    Executive Director
    Snow & Ice Management Association
    www.sima.org

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Why don't they just do cold calling various companies from various states. Why does it have to be YOUR client.

I mean we have to so why cant they. No staples easy button just because they are SIMA.

Wasn't there an issues with a invoicing software that was made up by a large management company and was sending back your details to the mgmt co. Sounds sort of similar.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Why stop at names and addresses? How about adding the amount you charge for service? :rolleyes:

4. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

and you all pay annual dues to SIMA...for what? this info to be sold/given to USM? have fun

on edit...why would SIMA g.a.f.....what you charge?

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

This is a Small issue i have with SIMA....Think of who is a prominent member of SIMA???Rich Arlington..What does he own???...AGMG a National Service Provider...Pretty good way to gather info for Future Accounts..........Best part of this...You can say NO....:nod:

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If I knew the contact name, address and amount my competitors are charging I could easily swoop in and undercut them. Not that I operate that way but I'm sure there are plenty of companies that do.

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

wow I got that same exact email from that same person! What a small world!

I'm not giving them my clients phone numbers, they would kick me in the stomach!

8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

keep paying your dues...does USM pay their dues? why not save your membership fee.....and just call USM's 800 # and tell them what they want to know? for the free jacket you're getting for your fee...couldn't you get one at walmart of the same quality? for less money?

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Did a bunch of posts get deleted (including my first one) seems kinda shady.

10. ajslands

Are you even a member of sima?

I didn't use Daves' name when I signed up, I used Scotts'.
    Also their are plenty of benefits to joining sima.

11. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

no, i'm not, and i didn't even use Dave's name either...until just now...who the fug is scott? educate me....rattle off these bennies. do i need a secret handshake here?

12. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

don't understand the problem, just don't give it to them. There's always somebody out fishing.

13. ajslands

Scott=grandview

14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Rich Arlington, Eh! :rolleyes: .....he ain't THAT big ;)

Theres a bigger snow company in Canada, thats operated by a guy called Dave Snyder! :cool: lol

15. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

from what i've seen on the short time i've frequented this board...is "scott"...grandview, is a highly respected member of this board. but i have to ask, is he now a SIMA God? why the hell are people spending money in memberships to push snow? it slays me....

16. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

Perhaps some of you don't understand what SIMA is and what its purpose is. If you have questions please call me, one of the other Board members or the SIMA staff. SIMA is NOT, I repeat, NOT a contractor, nor are they out to steal your business.

This e-mail was sent out because the SIMA Board of Directors has directed the SIMA staff to embark on a knowledge gathering mission in an effort to meet an important goal within our strategic plan. We as a Board, have felt that we needed to raise awareness of the SIMA name and the CSP program amongst property owners, managers, and anyone else needing to hire a snow contractor. Through raising the awareness level, we hope to provide SIMA members a competitive advantage over non SIMA members.

Part of our plan is to do a survey of end users to find out the concerns end users have when choosing/hiring a snow contractor. In better terms, how could SIMA as an association, position its members to be a better choice to provide snow and ice management than a non SIMA member. Once this information is gathered, we expect to develop a marketing/advertising campaign to get SIMA and its members in front of the end users on a regular basis.

There are a lot of questions that still have to answered. One of which would be how this type of initiative is funded. Many of the details will be worked out based on feedback we get from end users and our members.

I would think that anyone running a business who is a SIMA member would want property managers to know about SIMA and the CSP program. It is unfortunate that too many property managers don't know about SIMA. It is equally unfortunate that too many contractors don't know about SIMA or what its true purpose is. We hope to change that over time.

This request for information is strictly voluntary. If you truly feel that the information you provide is going to be used for any other purpose than what was described in the original e-mail or in this post, I am sorry you feel that way. However, the more information we can get from end users, the better prepared we will be to get the results we need to achieve one of our strategic goals.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Why not give members flyers with info that they can include with their contracts/estimates explainig what a member of the organization is or how they are better. Kinda like having a high rating on the BBB (yes I know its easy but its recognizable).

18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

why cant you do a random sampling as most polls are done? this way you are raising awareness of the SIMA & CSP credentials among companies that are and are NOT using SIMA member contractors, thereby helping SIMA and SIMA member contractors.

19. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

There are a lot of possibilities as to how we can best achieve our goal. In the end, the direction of the project, and what methods we employ will be dictated by the feedback we get from the end users and our membership.

This project may have several methods that we use to educate end users on SIMA and the higher level of professionalism of its members. As an example, we could do simple things like e-mails, direct mail, etc. We could also send members or the SIMA staff to BOMA, ICSC, IFMA, etc. events around the country. We could have a booth at their trade shows showcasing SIMA and all of its members. However, we have chosen to undertake this survey prior to deciding on what methods will make the most impact on the end users. What methods are chosen will also be impacted on the cost of implementing those methods. Some form of funding will have to be developed in order to have an effective marketing/advertising campaign.

This program is ultimately going to benefit the members. The better feedback we get the better program it will be.

20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yes the first posts were deleted, and instead of letting it go, its being re posted. I will repeat to the best of my knowledge what I replied last time.
    Wow that response is going over board. If you do not want to participate then don't. You dont have to come on here and slam SIMA. Every once in a while SIMA will come up with an idea that they will need volunteers to help them better understand our industry. They are always looking for ways to improve the professionalism of the snow industry. Did anyone on this site participate in the 2010 Financial Benchmark Study? I did, and you know why, because I wanted to help our industry. The information I got back comparing my results to all the others who participated will help me stream line some important issues I was not aware of before the survey. Yes I had to give all my financials to an independent accounting firm that was hired to do this research. No one at SIMA got to see the names and finances of those who participated. Once again they are asking for help from its membership. No one has to participate, but without volunteers SIMA will go nowhere. Its an independent marketing firm that will handle all this information. Once its all compiled SIMA with use it to help its membership understand the industry better. Get real do you really think Rich or any of these other big companies don't already know most of this stuff. I believe this information will be more beneficial for the smaller to medium size companies to better understand what goes on at larger scale clients. If you don't like something you don't have to participate, just say no. Knocking SIMA for trying to improve this industry makes not sense at all.
    Paul Vanderzon proud member of SIMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.