1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA vs ASCA?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by beanz27, Dec 14, 2015.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So guys that have joined either or both, is there any benefits, pitfalls, etc to joining SIMA or ASCA? I've joined SIMA, there was quite a bit of information, especially paperwork with SIMA.

Considering ASCA, so guys that have joined it, what are your thoughts?

For those not sure what I'm talking about:

SIMA: Snow and Ice Management Association
    http://www.sima.org/

ASCA: Accredited Snow Contractors Association
    https://www.ascaonline.org/about.aspx

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I get a free magazine from SIMA. Never heard of ASCA.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed....

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You should join both, that way u can put their logos on all your bids and letter head. no one in the real work will know what it's about, but at least the organizations got your $500

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Tried that with SIMA lol, didn't affect a single bid at all.

6. Superior L & L

from MI

Weird, I thought by being a member you became a "snow professional".

7. Mark Oomkes

You should have paid the big bucks to become a CSP, then you would be guaranteed to win every bid.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

At least CSP's are credible professionals who pay their contractors :eek:

9. Mark Oomkes

You might want to retract that statement.

The very first CSP, the creator of the original CSP test, is no other than John Allin.

I know you're young and don't have the history that some of us do, but beware of broad comments such as the one you made.

10. Superior L & L

from MI

Lol I thought he was the snow king

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I was being sarcastic.

12. Mark Oomkes

Dang, guess I need my sarcasm meter checked.

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

So for us young pups, save us a bunch of time googling him and educate us. I've heard of him and seen some videos, but what is bad about him?

14. Mark Oomkes

Wrong question: what's good aboot him.

15. derekslawncare

This isn't the first time that I have seen his name come up on here and the responses afterwards were always bad, so I just wondered why he was so disliked on here. The few videos that I have seen of him, I thought he was pretty knowledgeable, but maybe he just fooled me easier than he has you. Just was curious why he was hated so much.

16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The way they make it sound.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

He is one of the guys who are to blame for $100 accounts going for $35 nowadays. He and a few others who are nationally known absolutely ruined the market here in Erie. Perfected the art of the lowball and hack job nationals

18. Mark Oomkes

Long story.

Suffice it to say, as Peteo1 said, JAA is the one who turned plowing into a commodity.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As much as theses guys dislike JAA for some of his past actions he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the snow removal industry. His business mistakes in no way discredit that. His "Snow Fighters Institute' is teaching people to get better at snow removal in all aspects. It provides beginners the chance to learn lessons many of us had to learn the hard way and can provide a basis for newcomers to learn the business without costly mistakes.

Some of these guy have no forgiveness and are still picking at 20 year old wounds, don't discount him, just don't sign any contracts. Hahaha

SIMA offers excellent educational and networking opportunities while ASCA is working towards revised slip and fall legislation, and has testified before congress and meet with many lawmakers to try and bring some reasonable standards to what is perhaps the largest issue facing snow removal contractors.

Release the Trolls

20. derekslawncare

Ok, well that makes since. I've only been plowing for 10yrs, so all that happened before I got into the industry. Thanks for explaining.