1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA teaches everything but DOT regs?

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by blmland, Dec 17, 2008.

1. blmland

blmland Junior Member

Has anyone ever read the commercial motor vehicle laws for the their state or the federal motor carrier laws? Do you know that if a truck or combination of truck and trailer is over 10,000 gvw, it needs to be lettered with company name, place of origin and phone #? I look through the pictures and see many that aren't, which is stupid, it's free advertising. It is also Federal law that is not unique to each state. That means your one ton dually needs to be lettered. It also means your F150 with the 5000 lb. trailer needs to be lettered. SIMA teaches you to be a professional, then show it! I like to know who my competition is, don't you?
    Good Luck!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That law has been on the books for awhile.There are quite a few more that you won't know about until your pulled over and fined.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

when you get pulled over you NEVER get one ticket

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure about free, my stickers were $255.

Also how sure are you about all of your numbers and state requirements cause I bet you are not 100% correct.

5. blmland

blmland Junior Member

Look it up. It is probably on your state DOT website. If not www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ I think that SIMA should incorporate motor carrier laws into their training. We need to act like professionals to be professionals.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I can understand to a point, but where would they stop?

Think of the possibilities:

Tax Law

Employment Law

WC

OSHA

HazMat

DOL

Sure there's plenty more, but at some point we have to take the responsibility of knowing the laws and regulations as business owners.

7. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Junior Member
    from CT

Federal DOT regulations state that any vehicle or combination of vehicle in excess of 18,000 gvw needs to be lettered and have DOT numbers that are legible from 50 ft.Driver also needs a medical card.
    I know for a fact that most states have adopted Federal DOT rules and regs as state law as CT did a few years ago.
    Believe me if you are towing a tag or landscape trailer in CT and you go by the truck squad without DOT numbers 99% of the time you WILL get detected,subjected,inspected,rejected and fined.
    Also remember that trailer with a GROSS wieght over 3,000lbs needs operating brakes for each axel.
    One set of brakes on a tandem axel trailer aint cutting it.
    I have been asked for my registration more than once when I wasnt towing anything so they cancheck the GVW and see if I was subject to fuel sticker and DOT lettering requirements @ the scale house.
    Easy solution is magnetic signs with your DOT # and required company info on it.
    Most STATE DOT numbers and carrier regisration permits are free from the department of saftey, or at least it is in CT.
    Hope this helped.

8. BIG JIM

BIG JIM Junior Member
    from CT

If It Aint Pumpin Blood Or Oil I Aint Playin

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's 10,001 lbs. now.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That and not every state requires it.

Here we go again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I knew I was right. Thanks Mark.

12. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

That's the law in Colorado, I see a lot of people marking there trucks "Not for Hire" pulling around Skid steers and dump trailer :rolleyes: But than again most idiots are not licenced contractors either :dizzy:

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget your DOT Health Card.

14. They'll get you all.

One day you will realize that you are a motor carrier regardless of your gvwr ...if you are involved in commerce.

Soon you will all have d.o.t. Numbers..................................lol

get your triangles ready..............is your plow over 8'6"??????

Then your oversize......don't have an accident...

15. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

16. Martin Tirado

Martin Tirado Member

Sorry for the delay in responding to this original question, but SIMA will indeed have a short, but useful, training on DOT regulations at the Snow & Ice Symposium, June 24-27 in Louisville, KY. This will be conducted by Steve Castle, CSP, and will cover: vehicle inspections regs, CDL requirements, drug and alcohol regulations, and a few more items. Program length about 30 minutes.

This session is a trade show "mini session" and will occur on Friday, June 26 at the SIMA booth on the trade show floor. If you are unable to attend, and if the speaker agrees, I am willing to obtain the speakers handouts and distribute them to anyone who emails me such a request. These will be distributed after the program occurs.

Thanks....hope to see you on June 26!

17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Actually, I have a 3500 gvw single axle trailer that doesnt have brakes at all and passed the dot inspection. I also think that its a >10000 gvw limit, not 18000. I'm in western Mass