1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sima Show In Buffalo......whos Going?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sonjaab, Jun 1, 2003.

1. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HEY ALL.....Anybody going to the SIMA show in Buffalo next week?
    SIMA web messed up. Anybody have a list of hotels and motels nearby? Thanks and see ya there................geo

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would love to go up to the trade show. BUT they runs from 1pm to 5pm on Thursday, and also from 9am to noon on Friday. The problem is that SIMA allow you to attend only one of those day. Four hours of trade show on Thursday does not seem to be enough time. Why can't the trade show be open all the day, so people can come and look at them when they want to, and for extended period of time? I heard that there would be at least 300 vendors, so it would be impossible to visit even half of them. I would really like to go, but I can't justify the cost and time to take me up to a four hours show. It would be a 10 hours round trip, plus I need to pay tolls and hotel for overnight plus truck gas. Please let me know if trade show hours could be extended for a longer period of time.

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

The Vendors do not want to compete with the educational sessions, and the hours are set with their input.

As for hotels, all of the downtown hotels are booked solid as of this point. You'll have to stay 15-20 minutes away from the Convention Center.

There are not 300 vendors. 4 hours each day is more than enough time.....

4. Tammy

Tammy Member

Symposium

At this time we have 85 exhibitors. As for the hotels, we are working with all of the downtown properties as we have sold much of their space out. If you need a hotel room, your best bet at this time is to contact Judi Tarpley at 866-517-4466, and she will work with you to find the room you need. The schedule for the symposium is set almost a year in advance and is done at the recommendation of the conference committee. We feel that 4 hours of exhibit space and then educational sessions is a great agenda. Most exhibitors do NOT want to be at an exhibit hall for 8 hours straight and they do NOT want to compete with educational sessions. If you have additional questions, you may wish to contact the SIMA office at 814-835-3577, we are more than happy to answer them for you.

5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I'll be there and I'm looking forward to attaching some faces to the names of the folks I've been speaking with this past year. Not to mention the plethora of vendors to see and contacts to be made. I hear everyone will be getting a lei on Friday night.:drinkup:

6. Tammy

Tammy Member

See you soon.

Ken,

Glad to hear you'll be attending. Each year we have attempted to improve the show and add some fun to help off set the VERY busy days. Friday night's reception is sure to be fun and you're right everyone will be getting a lei. Please be sure to look me up when you get there. I'm sure you'll be able to recognize me, I'll be the one with all the grey hair from planning this thing! On second thought, by that time I might be bald from pulling it all out. See you next week.

7. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I'm sure you're doing a great job, bite your nails instead. Maybe we could have it in Philadelphia sometime.

8. sonjaab

HOTEL AVAL> NEAR SHOW

Hey All.....Found a hotel just up the street from the
    show.
    Pillars Place Hotel 814-835-3577. It is 2 miles up
    the street.
    The famous chicken wing place Anchor bar is
    around the corner too! There is a blues fest in
    town also........
    This is a newer hotel with fridge,nuke, etc in
    each room.
    Book thru Expedia.com rate is $69 a nite !
    If you call hotel direct rate is $89 nite.

There are a few rooms at the fancy places next
    door to conv. ctr. BUT $200 a nite tho.
    Thats a lot of beer money !!!!!!!!!!!

So got grass and I are gonna party so we will be
    cabing it !
    NO DWI for us.............................

BTW: Good thing GG aka mike knows Buffalo he sez
    we will be in a good spot!

Hope to see all of you there!.....................geo:drinkup: :drinkup:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  9. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Sounds like a great deal. Partying ???? Look me up!!!!! have shot glass will travel.:drinkup:

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Re: HOTEL AVAL> NEAR SHOW

Umm, Geo, that is the SIMA main office phone number you posted, NOT the hotel, LOL. :drinkup: :drinkup:

~Chuck

11. sonjaab

CORRECTION............................
    SORRY GUYS........Was talking to Got Grass and
    WXMN6 and surfing for hotels at the same time.

Rooms still avail. $69 nite thru expedia.com
    Pillars Hotel 125 High St.
    Buff. NY. 877-633-4667 direct line

This place is 5 blocks from convention center!
    (NOT 2 miles as in my 1st post)

READY TO PARTY ! :drinkup: :drinkup: ..........GEO:eek:

and learn a little too !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2003
  12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have an extra room available. I only need one room now, since my family is not coming. I will give this thread a couple of days or otherwise I will cancel the room. Its in the main hotel were all the action is. Call me if your interested. 847-561-3197

CGB:D

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Hey GEO, ya gotta give me some credit for finding that room for ya....
    I think it was travelocity.com that listed rooms at the Hyatt for around $200 a night. Guess they saved a few for the rich people....
    Anyways, check out www.thepillarshotel.com. Al tho the other sited have the rooms cheaper... Not sure how many are left but get em quick if you need em....
    The hotel is 1.18 miles from the convention center...
    About 7 LONG blocks away.... It's across the road from Roswell cancer institute & Buffalo General Hospital.
    Use the money you save for a 1 mile cab from the ctr. During the day walk a block & hop on the metro rail.

Most of the hotel space SIMA didn't grab up is going to people for the Allen Town Art Festival.

For those who are staying for more then just the Symposium or your family gets sick of hearing about plowing all day. I'm sure they already hear more then enough from you guys.

Here are some things to do:
    Allen town arts fesitival, www.allentownartfestival.com

Thursday at the square, free concerts 5-9pm, couple blocks from convention center: www.buffaloplace.com/events/tats/schedule.php

Buffalo guitar festival, for those who stay longer, www.guitarfestival.org

W. Chippewa + Pearl st. Lott's of bars & clubs for the after parties if anyone is still functional... Some of us may need a drink after hearing about snow in June all day...
    :)

14. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Good looking out!!!!!

Chuck ,
    thanks for the room I'll contact you in the Am to get the reservation number and transfer the the room to my name. Thanks again and the I'll make sure to get you that beer:drinkup:

15. Nova

Nova Member

Is this thing members only? The SIMA website doesn't have very much information on it to the public.

Does it cost anything? Can anyone attend? How much is parking?

Anyone else from Ontario going? I haven't been over the border in years, can I make it over without a passport?

Can someone please post all the details? Thanks.

16. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Sima's wab site is under major construction... It is open to everyone.
    Yes it does cost $$, quite a bit. You can attend the trade show only if you would like. But from what everyone says the things you learn at the event, the people you meet & network with. The little things you may have never thought about & the chance to talk to guys from all over the place from 1 man trucks to the largest and most profitable companies in the country willing to talk about most anything openly. Makes it all worth it in the long run.

Parking downtown will cost you.
    To hop the border all you need is 2 forms of id, Drivers licence & some other govt. form. Birth cert. copy may be required depending on the borders alert status.

I know there are people from Canada going & from all over the us...

I think in a previous post Chuck posted the details. You can always call the SIMA office with any questions at 814-835-3577

Last edited: Jun 7, 2003
  17. wxmn6

The SIMA Sympo is for members and non-members. You can attend. If you want to go to the show, the fees is $350 but there are some events that you would have to pay extras for, such as dinner, etc. If you want to, you could just go to the trade show which cost $20 to get in, but you can only go on one of either day, Thursday from 1pm to 5pm, or Friday from 9am to noon. I want to go to the trade show, but the hours are way too short to justify the cost and time for the trip.

I cannot answer the rest of your questions, but someone else should be able to help you.

18. wxmn6

Got Grass already answered the rest of your questions, so you should be set. :D :drinkup:

19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Ok, here's the pricing.

On site registration fee:
    SIMA Member - $350.00 for first person from a company, $275 for additional employees
    Prospective SIMA Member - $400 for first person, $325 for additional

Trade Show Only Pass - $20

Ticketed Events -

Thursday - Buffalo Public Works Facility Tour -
    SIMA Member - $20
    Potential SIMA Member - $25

Thursday Golf Tournament -
    SIMA Member - $100
    Potential SIMA Member - $110

Thursday Evening Awards Banquet -
    SIMA Member - $20
    Potential SIMA Member - $25

Friday Family Outing To 6 Flags Darien Lake -
    only one price listed - $40

Friday and Saturday Snack & Chat -
    SIMA Member Pricing - $50 (price includes both days)
    Potential Member Pricing - $60 (price includes both days)

Saturday Evening Dinner & Tour -
    SIMA Member - $60
    Potential SIMA Member - $70

So there you have it.

The Symposium registration fee gets you into all the educational sessions, and the Trade Show on both days.

~Chuck

20. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Border Crossing

What should I have with me for crossing the border twice, once in MI and then again at Niagra ? It saves about 100 miles, so its the route we always take. Do I really need to bring a birth cert ?

Also, does anyone know if there is Nextel service in the area?

Thanks !

Last edited: Jun 7, 2003