1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA Releases Snow & Ice Management Standard Glossary of Terms

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by Michael J. Donovan, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

SIMA Releases Snow & Ice Management Standard Glossary of Terms​

The Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) recently released the Snow & Ice Management Standard Glossary of Terms. Provided free of charge to anyone at www.sima.org/glossary, the glossary consists of over 120 key terms used in the procuring, selling, planning, implementing, and legal defense of professional snow & ice management services in North America.

“The glossary project began after advanced discussions with facility management professionals and snow contractors during the SIMA Think Tank event in September 2014, when it became clear that both parties needed more tools for RFPs and contracts," says Brian Birch, SIMA Chief Operating Officer. “The glossary strives to create common ground with industry-wide consistency in key terms tied to snow contracts, snow service, and RFPs. We hope this leads to more clarity in service expectations and quality communication between insurance providers, facilities management professionals, and snow contractors,” says Birch.

As a non-profit trade association, SIMA values creating standards that are easily accessed, adopted and shared, and managed and improved over time. The glossary was created with the following in mind:

Open Access: The glossary is available to all industry stakeholders, regardless of whether they are members of the SIMA.
    Comprehensive: Terms were reviewed by more than 25 industry stakeholders and experts in facilities management, snow management, and insurance.
    Education: SIMA is spearheading training to help all parties adopt the critical terms that shape the challenges in the industry.
    Transparency & Quality: The glossary is governed transparently with policy guidelines, and any stakeholder can recommend edits, additions, or deletions at any time.

SIMA will consistently monitor and update the glossary as a working body of knowledge, as further feedback will consistently refine and improve the terms. The next phase of the project includes delivery improvements, with plans for an integrated web resource that enables people to find the terms they need, link to other related terms, and get access to more critical information on key items.

The Glossary of Terms is available for download now at www.sima.org/glossary. For more information, contact Brian@sima.org, or call 414-375-1940.

About the Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA)
    Founded in 1996, the Snow & Ice Management Association is the nation's trade association for professionals involved with the snow & ice industry including snow plowing as well as commercial & residential snow removal. Visit www.sima.org for more information.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

By implementing, referencing, or in any other way utilizing terms within this document, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless SIMA from and against any claim, action or demand.

Right on the front page terms of agreement,Just the thing we complain about.
  3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Ok...? I have hold harmless language in all my contracts. I am assuming, based on your response that you do not. Please explain why that is a bad thing for SIMA to do?
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Like everyone else,passing the buck.
  5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Are you saying that you choose to assume all liability?
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I get GV's point. It's frustrating when people or entities don't take responsibility for something they either did, do or are going to do...but I have to agree with Herm. It's a very litigious world nowadays. Assuming liability is in not what anyone wants to do.

I do like they way they worded it though. Clear and concise and absolved themselves completely.

There are a few things I don't like about it. One in particular is that they acknowledged "zero tolerance" as a legit term. It's a term that is not realistic, achievable or possible, and cannot be realized at any time under any and all conditions. "Slip free conditions", "snow free environment" should also be shunned and rejected as legitimate terms. Any accumulation at all is in direct conflict to zero tolerance/slip free/snow free conditions.
  7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Zero Tolerance: A Level of Service that typically requires bare pavement or minimal accumulation at all

Anyone accepting a contract with this term in is just making themselves liable for every single occurrence that might happen during a season.

Snow melts off the roof from a storm that happened 3 days ago and someone slips and falls, you own it.

Cars drive onto the property and snow melts off them into the lot and someone slips and falls, you own it.

Some kids hanging in the clients lot have a snow ball fight.
    Customer A walks out and slips on the snow they were throwing around.
    You own it because you agreed to a zero tolerance.

Having a contract with these terms makes you liable every day whether it snows or not.

I don't think it should be a legitimate term.

The rest is not bad and should be read by anyone coming into this business to give them a outlook on the terms.
  8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I agree with you about some of the terms. I'm just all bout engaging and helping and not slammiming.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That term is trademarked..... zero tolerance ™
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's for sure Herm. You are all about helping!

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I downloaded it, but didn't read through it.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's good stuff. Anything that works for the industry is good. It's just that a couple of the terms can get contractors in trouble.
  13. Yardlines guy

Yardlines guy Junior Member

Snow Plow Contractor- some that's has or will soon get sued for something they most likely had no control over.

But I do like what SIMA did.
  14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Curious to hear how you would get the "zero tolerance" term changed on someone else's contract. We were asked to bid a bunch of zero tolerance stuff but I'm not really excited about the work. The pay is decent though
  15. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I use my own contract, and the one time I had to use a sites contract, I just put a line thru what I didn't agree with and either left it or put in new wording and sent it back.

In that case, they accepted the changes.

If they had refused to change it, I would have walked and they knew that.

Any contract with a zero tolerance makes you a maintenance contractor because you will have to monitor that site daily from Nov 1st to April 1st to insure that zero tolerance happens.

That means you checking it at least twice a day, once in the early morning and then late night.

If the site is willing to pay for that type of service and you have the time, then go for it.

And if you do, take pictures and video of every inspection trip and document it. C.Y.A.

Good Luck.
  16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the info. If we get awarded the work I'll have to revise their contract pr insist its mine or forget it
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

SIMA added and changed some terms in their glossary. Biggest change was "Zero Tolerance". Makes a lot more sense now.