1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA membership

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dayexco, Mar 30, 2011.

1. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

to any SIMA reps or members here...i'm curious about any organization before i join. would any of you have the membership demographics? members age/location/size of operation, etc. etc.? if it costs me an annual membership to get this info, i just might be interested. but i can't believe the release of that would be detrimental to SIMA. is this info any of you could share with me?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are you trying to do with this info?
  3. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i am trying to figure out the average age of members, size of their company that are members...that are agressively seeking to hit larger markets. i'm curious as to if these demographics are shared with "big" SIMA members, giving them a new contractor base on which to bring into the fold and to once again lower the price of services provided. if the "big" SIMA members have access to this info, it would be very advantageous for them in keeping a new bloodline going once the seasoned contractor tires of the relentless b.s. and elects not to sign any future contracts.

this info would be of great interest to new start up companies, but old farts as myself.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I dont recall SIMA asking my age ever. I know that dues are based on dollar volume, but they take your word for it, the location (at least office) is in the non-member locate a contracor section, they also do have (or used to at least) an area welcoming new members in there magazine. I see where your going with this, but just because someone is new to SIMA....doesnt mean there new to the snow business or business in general.
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I know USM, SMS Assist,and a few others troll the SIMA membership for contractors...Since i join a few years back i have been contacted by them many times to bid sites........
  6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i want to make on thing clear here, i never once picked on SIMA or any of it's members in any of these posts in this thread...i asked a legitimate question, and if you're not ashamed of your pricing or affiliation with SIMA that info shouldn't be that hard to come by, would you not agree? i'm not new to snow removal myself, i just might be interested in a SIMA membership.
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Now Im confused. I didnt take your post as picking on anyone or SIMA. It was a legit question (that I thought I answered)...now I guess I dont get what your asking ?
  8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

RLM, i apologize coming off like a ***** here...i'm trying to do this thread, and bid on piping on a water treatment plant job tomorrow morning...i'm not that focused, if i offended you, i'm truly sorry, and rereading your post, i see you answered me...thank you
  9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Day, it costs more to fill up my Quad axle in a day than the expense of joining SIMA. So, I joined. Can't say I've gotten much out of it though.
  10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

I have never understood the volume based membership fees. Does anyone have a reason why this is a good thing for a contractor? I am not a member, but just cannot understand how the information that SIMA provides should cost more due to my volume of snow removal.
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I bet it's because there are a lot of contractors that come up when someone does a search in your area.

I'm the only SIMA member within 30 miles of my town so I've gotten some really nice calls from companies who've done a search. That's probably the sole reason why I'm going to renew my membership by the 1st. I just can't let those calls go to someone else...
  12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

send the calls my way if you dont want em buddy, I'll sub em back to ya :)
  13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Not offended was just confused. I've been a plowing contractor for 15+ years, I've grown pretty thick skin. From my experience you can gain a TON of knowledge on here or the "other sites" as well, this one is the busiest.
    Basiclly SIMA membership has a couple key points from my experience, I was a member when it started, drop it for awhile, then became a member & CSP.
    Where SIMA picks up from discussion boards is the sample contracts, production numbers, etc. all done for you ready to edit, education programs are there for purchase at a discounted rate, if your looking to implement an employee training program, expand int new service, etc-great resource, for someone that has 5 years in a truck, a head on there sholders & a heavy snow market, you probably won't get anything out of "Basic Snowplowing techniques" train video.
    You do get out of it what you put in as well, some contractors are great to talk to, will tell you how they do things in there market, etc....others I've never heard "properitary info" mentioned so many times & its frustrating because at a symposium you only go to so many classes, when you start to hear that, your really not learning anything, lots of guys walked out, I personally hate to be rude..but it was tough not to walk out.
    Depending on your client base, you will find some clients do find value in CSP designation, or SIMA membership, others will see no value to it.
    In our line of work the key to growing is finding the right information, be it leads for jobs, deicing produts info, or equipment. Alot of the info is tough to come by because there really are such a small group of people that truly do this line of work, compared to other trades, so SIMA is one more resource to help solving that puzzle. Alot of the information to be found is geared toward DOT unfortunatly private companies operate very different from governments, we dont have unlimited budgets, a staff that gets paid if it snows or not, etc. Yet our clients are generally more demanding, the roads can be a sloppy 4-6 inch mess, but heaven forbid your parking lot has 1/4 inch of slush in it. I'm WAAAY of topic so I'll stop.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  14. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Make it what you want it to be but it is defintiely not the answer to bringing in equality to the marketplace and or bringing fair rights to the process and industry as a whole. Take the good out of it and leave the rest for the buzzards.