1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA gave John Allin a Lifetime Achievement award last night?

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by Camden, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I woke up this morning to a bunch of text messages mentioning the fact JA was given a lifetime achievement award at last night's SIMA Symposium award banquet.

I'm stunned. I wonder what criteria was used to determine that this guy has been an asset to our industry. (Martin can you expand on the decision to give that guy an award...?)

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. Mark Oomkes

Interesting.

I wonder if all his creditors and other folks that he only paid 75% of what he owed over 18 months will also receive this type of an award.

throwing-up.gif

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you have to look at things in his lifetime. He was the first that attempted to recognize snow removal as a industry. He tried to band guys together to discuss issues basically before there was a internet or SIMA. You have to recognize that it was his personal effort and a few others that started SIMA. He was the guy that drove around this country and gave talks for free, he gladly shared his experiences on how he ran his company. Donald Trump has screwed lots of people out of money but everyone still watches the Apprentice each week. Adolf Hitler killed millions but would there be a History channel without him. I'll say John Allin is one of the good guys and deserves the award before I ever declare Obama the best president and put him on Mount Rushmore

Question is Do you think Michael J. Donovan deserves a lifetime achievement award?

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Achievement in....ugh I can't even get started I can already feel my blood pressure going through the roof. What a joke.

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question........Yes...MJD deserves an award....I could not deal with bozos like myself and a bunch of others on this site on a daily basis......:drinkup:

7. Defcon 5

The criteria was to give an award to someone that was at the forefront of the NSP model that has drivin pricing into the toilet......

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know if you have a post on this site that gives some background info on JA? It might be worth sharing the link to it. I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers who are wondering why this is a big deal.

9. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I do not think the lurkers even care. But if you are serious about snow you know all about this situation. I have been to one of his lectures, and he is brilliant, but it is still interesting how the trade magazines have embraced him with what went down in the past.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Between him and Rich Arlington, they've completely ruined the snow business here in Erie. Using their models we have guys plowing lots with 3-5 yard loaders for less than $75. We've pretty much decided commercial plowing here isn't very profitable for us so we're trying to line up entire neighborhoods of driveways. We're not beating up our equipment to make peanuts plowing commercial accounts.

11. Mark Oomkes

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You also obviously don't know anyone that was screwed over by JAA.

You must still work for him. Or maybe you are him.

12. Mark Oomkes

I'm not sure if I do. I'll have to look around.

It was probably deleted. :laughing:

13. Mark Oomkes

Contrary to his worshippers' beliefs, JAA did not invent snow and snowplowing.

14. Defcon 5

What???????......I think you better check your facts.....:salute:

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm hearing rumors that next year's winner is Bernie Madoff.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I thought it was Dave Brule for his adjustable vee blade wearedges?:rolleyes::laughing::laughing:

17. Mark Oomkes

That was as direct hit.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL

Yes, yes it was. Good stuff. :drinkup:

20. Mark Oomkes

I believe this is what you were asking about Roy.

Some of this post involves stuff about ASCA and ISO accreditation, but I removed the majority of that.

I've heard rumours of SIMA members cancelling their memberships, any truth to that Martin?

I must say, that I would not be renewing my membership if I had to on an annual basis, and have said the same thing long before you took over, Martin. The way nothing was done about JAA is sickening IMO. When the CSP came out there was an entire section on ethics, apparently this section has been removed from the test? Because it obviously doesn't apply. And hasn't for quite some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.