1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SIMA Announces University of Buffalo Facility Tour at Annual Symposium

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by Michael J. Donovan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

The Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA) has announced a facility tour of the University of Buffalo Building and Grounds Department, specifically the snow removal operations, as a special event for the 2008 Snow and Ice Symposium. The 11th Annual Symposium will be held in Buffalo, NY, June 18-21, 2008, with the facility tour taking place on Wednesday, June 18 from 8:00am to 12:00pm.

The University of Buffalo Buildings and Grounds Department is responsible for keeping approximately 108 acres of parking lots, 38 miles of roadways, and 28 miles of sidewalks clear of snow and ice for 27,000 students. In an area known for heavy snow, the University grounds crew has abundant experience in dealing with winter weather.

John Hayes, assistant director of buildings and grounds, will be leading the tour, which will showcase equipment, operations, and facilities of the University. “The University at Buffalo welcomes members of SIMA for a tour of the 1,400 acres of University grounds. We are excited for the opportunity to share information about snow and ice removal at UB,” says Hayes.

The 4 day Symposium will also feature over 20 educational sessions, 2 keynote speakers, and a 2 day trade show featuring the latest equipment and technology in the snow and ice industry. Jennifer Hallett, SIMA Director of Education and Certification, says “The facility tour is just one of the many great events we have lined up for the Symposium this year. We expect the tour and other events to be a fun and educational experience for professionals in the snow and ice industry.”

Registration for the facility tour and Symposium is now open. For more information or to sign up, please call 414-375-1940 or visit www.sima.org.

The Snow & Ice Management Association Inc. (SIMA) is a trade association for those who manage snow and ice. SIMA ensures professionalism and safer communities by helping those who manage snow and ice master essential skills and practices. For more information on SIMA, visit www.sima.org.

2. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

What campus of the University will it be at? I ask because I went to the North campus, and the snow removal was a joke. I understand that it is a large area, but if I left my accounts the way they did, I would be broke. I went to school there in 1998 and they had a poor system, and when my girlfriend graduated in 2005 it was still the same. Thats just my .02 I had to deal with it for a few winters as a student there.

3. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

UB Facility Tour

Apik1...thanks for the question and the comment...the tour will comprimise two different portions of the UB campus, you can get some more info by checking out the link to an article that was recently written up in our publication, Snow Business magazine. The link is here:

http://www.snowbusiness.net/snowbus...e-Grade/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/500382

I think the tour will be great and may surprise you, we have about 60 signed up already, so we expect it to be full by the time the show arrives...any other thoughts or comments about the show are welcome, thanks!

Brian Birch
    Assistant Executive Director
    SIMA