1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

silverado timing chain

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plow horse, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Hi you all. I am trying to replace my timing chain on my 01 silverado 2500hd 6.0. There is a little issue of the oil pump and oil pan. How do you get the oil pump of the crank shaft with out a huge process, OR is it a huge process? Thanks Larry. Let it snow.
  2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Im guessing your trying to do it without dropping the pan? If so sorry, not like the old small blocks! Pan has to come off so you can get the pickup tube and screen off the pump. Once thats done theres only a couple of bolts holding the pump on.
  3. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

timing chain

Yup FUN is a understatement! Wow just a lot more work to a 01 2500hd 6.0, than seems possible. to replace the timing chain is FUN! 1 day is out the door! So the oil pump is on the crank shaft, you open it all up and the 1 or the other, 1st way is to drop diff and most of the front end, 2nd way is take out engine mount bolts and jack engine up. All this because the oil pump is attached to crank and the return tube is bolted into ingine in the pan, so you have to take of the oil pan, Carefully! FUN FUN FUN! BUT its done rite they say. I hope so, lots more to this than I relized.:mechanic: